Running two monitors...advice please

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've just bought a new monitor for my Dell desktop and would like to have two monitors active.....one with the image on and one with the various pallets and menus from CS3.

Anybody have an idiots guide to explain what I need to do to get this set up properly....or a link to an suitable web site.

Thanks in anticipation of the avalanche...

Bob

basically right click the desktop::settings
click monitor marked 2, then
there's a check box "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"
you can then configure the two monitors separately

it's v v easy 'onest guv

Thanks Mike (y)...I'll give it a try when I get home (and pick up the new monitor). Just thought I'd plan ahead incase I needed some more software or hardware.

Bob

mmcp42 is more or less correct but presumes you have a dual monitor video card, you do not inform us if you do or don't in your post.
You will require a dual head monitor video display card. Once installed, then right click on the desktop then properties/settings/ and then click monitor number 2 and check/tick the box 'Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor'.
Bingo.

Post back if you require any more help.

mmcp42 is more or less correct but presumes you have a dual monitor video card, you do not inform us if you do or don't in your post.
You will require a dual head monitor video display card. Once installed, then right click on the desktop then properties/settings/ and then click monitor number 2 and check/tick the box 'Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor'.
Bingo.

Post back if you require any more help.

Ah ha...need dual head eh. I've just bought a Dell 2405 FPW. I got it simply to replace my existing 17" TFT but thought I'd go for a dual setup. Looks like a new video card will be required....any recommendations?....it's for a Dell 4550 2.4Ghz (early 2005 model)
Thanks again.....
Bob

Yeah you'll need a dual head card, or two cards. Id suggest looking at NVidia or ATI's ranges. Once you've got them set up also get hold of Ultramon. Its software for multi screen setups which makes life much easier. :)

Cheers, I'll have a surf around and see what I can find...back tomorrow.

Bob

Check your current card, if it's got DVI and VGA outputs chances are it will support a dual display.

Check your current card, if it's got DVI and VGA outputs chances are it will support a dual display.

Thanks Andy....I'll have to wait until I get home to check. Saves me jumping the gun and ordering though.

Bob

As said...

basically right click the desktop::settings
click monitor marked 2, then
there's a check box "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"
you can then configure the two monitors separately

it's v v easy 'onest guv

is spot on and dead easy. You dont need any other software

As to the hardware NVIDIA or ATI, with at least 128Meg of ONBOARD memory and two ports a VGA and DVI is normal, tho you can get 2X DVI and other combinations. Do NOT get one that has 32/64Meg onboard and shares system memory, these are generally cheaper and are marked as something like 32-128M (or 128M shared). The problem with these (as you might guess) is that it nicks your main RAM and is lots slower as it has to access the extra memory via the motherboard

Bob

My Dell ( Dimension 5150) has twin heads on the video. It's got a VGA and DVI output. I used to run 2 monitors before I got my 24" wide screen, now there's no need ( as well as no space on the desk).

Watch out if the monitors are different sizes and different resolutions, as this can give problems. Both monitors need to be at the same resolution.

Bob
Both monitors need to be at the same resolution.

No they dont.
I run 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 using an ATI X1650

Extra S/W is up to you but I dont mind clicking 2 buttons to turn the 2nd monitor on/off :shrug:

^^^wot he sed^^^

No they dont.
I run 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 using an ATI X1650

Extra S/W is up to you but I dont mind clicking 2 buttons to turn the 2nd monitor on/off :shrug:

Glad it works for you , but I found the Photoshop wouldn't take the tool bar or the pallets onto the second monitor if the resolution wasn't the same.

Could have been due to the way I configured my system, who knows:shrug:

Thanks for all the help, information and suggestions folks. It'll be about a week before I get home to put this into practice but I'll report back on the eventual solution....or problems encountered.

Cheers Bob

I finally got home and picked up the new monitor. I had to buy a new graphics card but found a suitable one with 256Mb onboard.
It came neatly bundled with a bit of software that allows you to tile the two monitors in any combination of horizontal or vertical and it's a simple drag and drop to do what I need.

Thanks to all for the advice and help....

Bob

You don't, but Ultramon makes multi monitor setups much better and adaptable. :)

I've just installed Ultramon....certainly helps get things sorted out and is much more adaptable than the Nvidia bundled software....27 quid downloaded and licence emailed to me.

Thanks for the tip Alisdair.

Bob

Back