Review Russian lens on K10D digital

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been experimenting with some of my 'Commie lenses' on my Digital Pentax K10D -- years ago I got a Russian MC Jupiter-9 f2 85mm for £ 1-00 at our Camera Club auction and I used it with the Pentax screw/bayonet adapter -- I used 'AV' exposure mode and had to use +1 exposure compensation or the K10d under-exposed. I took some at full aperture and it was 'soft' but others at one stop down f2.8 were good, and I have used it on FILM too. It needs a deep rubber lens hood or it flares easily.
MC Jupiter 9 M42 fit by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Distance shot at full aperture f2
MC Jupiter 9 01 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Flat wall with Grafitti at full aperture f2
MC Jupiter 9 02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
One of my 'Test' subjects in the High Street at f2.8

MC Jupiter 9 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Flowers at full aperture f2

MC Jupiter 9 05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Flowers at f2.8

MC Jupiter 9 06 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

I used to shoot a chrome Jupiter-9 on my Sony NEX5 and got sharp results from wide open so your lens looks like it may be a Friday afternoon version :0)

This was taken wide open at F2 and my son was in full run;

The only disadvantage to using it on the NEX was the weight which made the camera quite unbalanced;

Apart from that it's an excellent lens and I'll probably get another when I replace my NEX.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for your interest and you results are good !

I've got a fair few old Eastern Bloc lenses and find them interesting to use. They're perhaps not ideal for folk who subscribe to today's obsession for corner to corner sharpness but many have their own signature bokeh and render quite beautifully. I'm currently playing with some lashed up old Soviet projector lenses which give a very distinctive look to the shots.
It's nice to see legacy kit getting some air time....thanks.

Bob

Back