Wild Rusty owl

You keep on doing this to me! That is such a great photo, what an amazing owl, love this so much.

Den, the owl looks a little oversharpened and for me the background is quite distracting, like stripes of different rust shades and then the bright highlight through the middle

A super pose though

stan

More LO loveliness..... :)

In part I agree with Stan the industrial BG is odd though not bad as it shows the environment they are stuck with co-existing with man.

Is it in moult as 'down' showing in the feathers?

More LO loveliness..... :)

In part I agree with Stan the industrial BG is odd though not bad as it shows the environment they are stuck with co-existing with man.

Is it in moult as 'down' showing in the feathers?
The birds at this site have had a successful brood of two chicks a year for a lot of years ,always nesting in the same rusty steel girder ,this is a juvenile hence the look of the bird

Another beauty Dennis! Although as was said before, maybe slightly oversharpened imo.

Another strange one for me this.......because I think it works when really it shouldn't (y):D

Could the fact it looks a tad over-sharpened be down to the bird being closer to the bg and there still being detail even at such a shallow DOF?

I think the reason this shot and most of Den's other Little Owl shots look over-sharpened is down to the fact that the bird ( but not the background ) is saturated with noise, which is making it look crunchy and over-sharpened when it is auto re-sized for TP's platform.

Running a couple of passes of Noise Reduction on the bird at the native resolution before posting on Flickr will solve this issue.

BTW, another excellent shot, Den (y)

Last edited:
I think the reason this shot and most of Den's other Little Owl shots look over-sharpened is down to the fact that the bird ( but not the background ) is saturated with noise, which is making it look crunchy and over-sharpened when it is auto re-sized for TP's platform.

Running a couple of passes of Noise Reduction on the bird at the native resolution before posting on Flickr will solve this issue.

BTW, another excellent shot, Den (y)

I think you might be right. I just had a look at full size on Flickr and you can see the noise which I think is causing the oversharpening look as you said.

Following on from my theme with anything rusty with the little owl,to be honest this shot was the result of the bird landing on a post with chain around it then shifting to this position on the chain with the mouse ,I was pretty surprised as the chain did swing a little but the owl had no issues with balancing while taking the mouse in is claw Rust chain little owl (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

2nd and 3rd images on this thread are incredible. number 1 is super sharp, but very distracting with colours in background.

Wonderful shots Dennis, they are really cute little birds aren't they. Just had a look at your website, I was curious as to where you shoot, and I would never have guessed these were in Rochdale, you are so lucky and keep up the good work with the birds.

A truly great set of photos. I wish I was that good that I could get just one of these.

Back