Rutland Water

Name
Tom Storey
Edit My Images
Yes
since it was such a nice evening on wednesday, i thought id take a trip to rutland water and try a few more landscape shots.
i got there while the sun was quite high but didnt take many pictures, just wandered around looking for a good spot to catch the sunset. i never really used to look for good spots to get good landscape shots, i just used to walk around taking pictures of this and that and never really come away with anything good.

anyway, these are all taken from the south east corner near the dam.

comments and critique very welcome.

edit: not much post processing done on these, i used a polariser, nd grads, orange grads and orange solid filters. contrast and saturation edited in RSE.

simply gorgeous!

I dunno why you posted the second two after that first one -it's an absolute stunner. :clap:

thanks, this is the first set of landscape shots ive taken that really happy with :)

Yep, first one is the best for me.
Like the way the water has blurred with the slow(ish) shutter speed.

crackers, all 3 of them, print and hang em..

Boon said:
crackers, all 3 of them, print and hang em..

What he said, all look beautiful - maybe the first just edges it(y)

Number one is the one I`d pay money for (not that I`m offering lol!)

all 3 crackers. i really like the 1st and last, and the second!

Love them Trip, well done :)

Absolutely beautiful.

The only thing I can think that might improve the first shot would b to clone out the contrails. It's a fantastic shot as it is but the contrails do catch the eye a bit.

Wow! :clap: I'd be really pleased with these too if I'd taken them - they are a great set of shots. I like them all, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the first.

All of them are first class, but for me the first is stunning.

Blows my mind! Not sure if such a scene presented itself to me if I could do half as good.

loving the first one, though the soft light and perfect reflections of the second are great too :)

Super images - first one should be on the wall!

Can't help wondering with a lot of shots as good as these - if I was stood in the same place would I have got the same result? Never really been into landscape but when you see somemething like this its tempting to try and try again....

Excellent! I also like the fact that you used filters instead of relying on post processing.

thanks for the comments everyone. glad you like them. one of them is getting printed onto canvas soon to hang on the living room wall. not sure wich one though, no doubt the girlfriend will have the last say on that.

i always prefered filters to photoshop, makes taking the pictures so much more interesting and takes most of the boring photoshop work out, not to mention leaving me with more time to take pictures :)

all i need now is a lens that doesnt rotate during focusing, then i wont have to simply hold the filters infront of the camera!

trip said:
i always prefered filters to photoshop, makes taking the pictures so much more interesting and takes most of the boring photoshop work out, not to mention leaving me with more time to take pictures :)

I definately agree, I love playing around with different filters it makes you feel like you've taken the picture rather than PS sometimes doesn't it and you get a great sense of achievement. PS is still required for the needed tweaking with digital and of course you can get some fantastic creative effects which gives a different sort of fulfillment but I do like the old way.

that first one is a stunner...I read your info before I scrolled down to the image and my words were 'oooh!'

Rubbish!

Only kidding, just wanted to throw a spanner in the works (me, lol)

All of these are great, as with most other people here the first one appeals more to me, As steep said previously I would be tempted to remove the vapour trails, but other than that I too would get them prints very large, and sell them. I'm pretty sure ikea or the like would have them.

Great shots, wish I had taken them, or had the ability.

Cheers for sharing.

Kris

If I was gonna be critical, I'd say the first one is just a shade too dark and the horizon on the last is wonky. Overall though........:love: :notworthy:

Gandhi said:
If I was gonna be critical, I'd say the first one is just a shade too dark and the horizon on the last is wonky.

i thought they might be a bit dark too. got some printed at a photolab just to check them and the will have to be adjusted slightly. untill i scrape together enough for a spyder thingy, thats the way im going to have to work it.

never noticed the horizon on that last one, i never do notice untill someone else points it out.:(

cracking shots, lovely colour and compositions :)

Back