s***o-kai Karate @ GL1

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked to go along and take some shots at a local Karate event last weekend. Never done any Karate before, but I'm reasonably pleased with my first efforts. The 5D could just about keep up, but it definitely left me wanting a 1D mkiv.

Karate_GL1_27_03_2011_Image006.jpg

Karate_GL1_27_03_2011_Image013.jpg

Karate_GL1_27_03_2011_Image078.jpg

Karate_GL1_27_03_2011_Image139.jpg

I think next time I'll up the shutter speed a little, I was after a little motion blur to give some idea of speed etc, but I think I need to be a little faster.

Hi Andy. One of my fav activities. Nice shots perhaps a faster ss as you say. Did you shoot from a low viewpoint?

Last edited:
Nice shots- love the pained expression on the little girls face :puke:

Les (y)(y)

The girl looks to be at a severe disadvantage height and weight wise?

Boy, that brings back memories. I used to do Karate in the old lesuire center in Gloucester every saturday with Chris Rudge. I started when I was about 5 and continued til I was about 15.

Nice sets, capture the event well.

Photodiva said:
Hi Andy. One of my fav activities. Nice shots perhaps a faster ss as you say. Did you shoot from a low viewpoint?

For the kids I was pretty much lying on the floor. I always try to get down to children's level or lower when doing portraits so I thought the same would apply here.

For the kids I was pretty much lying on the floor. I always try to get down to children's level or lower when doing portraits so I thought the same would apply here.

That always helps for sports. I've a 50D and the frame rate is adequate, shame the 5D isn't up to rapid shots.

I had my 40D with me but I find the full frame handles the low light alot better, and has a slightly better autofocus in my opinion. Never found the lack of fps a problem, even for low level aircraft I prefer the slower rate.

Hi, great pictures, did you shoot on manual, and what lens and settings did you use?

ISO =
Shutter Speed =
F Stop =

Cheers

Matt

Hi, great pictures, did you shoot on manual, and what lens and settings did you use?

ISO = 1600
Shutter Speed = 1/250 or 1/320
F Stop = f1.8

Cheers

Matt

As Mark said the EXIF is intact but I've added it above. I started in Av but quickly switched to Manual, lighting was a little changeable but I preferred having full control.

Back