S5 Pro or D200 as Back Up?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of getting a back up camera, currently use a D200 which I'm very happy with apart from high ISO which I don't need very often.
Would Ideally like a D700 but can't stretch to that at the moment.
Do I get another D200 or the Fuji S5 Pro, I'm learning towards the Fuji for the DR etc, then I have the advantages of both, how does the higher ISO's compare with the 2 and say the D300?
I do a lot of animal photography and have been asked to do a few pet portraits, am also starting to get into people portraits and may to a friends wedding in the near future.

Thanks for any advise.
Simon

For weddings and portraits I think the general consensus is the S5. I haven't used the D200 but the S5 really is a cracking camera for the money..... if you can find one :)

The S5 Pro blows the D300 out of the water for DR - not even a context.

At ISO1600 the D300 is better I think, not a huge amount in it, but you get more detail due to the higher resolution, after NR.

The D300 is sharper, the S5 Pro has nicer tonality and IMHO renders a more "pleasing" image.

I have a D300, and tbh I wish it was an S5 Pro!

You can do a very nice A4, and I shoot a lot of landscape and with a good lens, A3 isn't a problem.

There is 100% monitor viewing sharpness (which is really meaningless for prints) and then print sharpness which is a big leveller between cameras.

I've printed D200 and S5 Pro shots taken at the same time A4, and its impossible to see any resolution advantage from 6 to 10, and I don't think the extra 2 makes much difference from the D300 either.

I do have scenes from both the S5 Pro and D300 in controlled conditions, and printed - you won't tell a difference in resolution, although the S5 Pro 90% of the time will have more "niceness".

You can do a very nice A4, and I shoot a lot of landscape and with a good lens, A3 isn't a problem.

There is 100% monitor viewing sharpness (which is really meaningless for prints) and then print sharpness which is a big leveller between cameras.

I've printed D200 and S5 Pro shots taken at the same time A4, and its impossible to see any resolution advantage from 6 to 10, and I don't think the extra 2 makes much difference from the D300 either.

I do have scenes from both the S5 Pro and D300 in controlled conditions, and printed - you won't tell a difference in resolution, although the S5 Pro 90% of the time will have more "niceness".

Thanks a lot!

Simon

One point I would make is that I don't think the Fuji and Nikon batteries are interchangeable (not sure about the chargers either).

Another is that stocks of the S5 may be getting low, although I see that Mifsuds (NO, I don't work for them, honest!) are still advertising them at £499.

One point I would make is that I don't think the Fuji and Nikon batteries are interchangeable (not sure about the chargers either).

You can't swap the batteries around, but the chargers are interchangable.

I never even used my Fuji charger, just my Nikon charger.

Actually a D100, D50, D70 or D70s can use Fuji S5 Pro batteries just fine too (as they do not read the middle pin on the battery)

Another is that stocks of the S5 may be getting low, although I see that Mifsuds (NO, I don't work for them, honest!) are still advertising them at £499.

Correct, the batteries, although identical in appearance are not interchangeable, the chargers are the same though. Another "problem" is that the controls of the cameras are not the same, which can be a bit of a pain when jumping from one to t'other.

The last delivery of S5s from Japan is pretty much all gone, so whatever stocks are in the shops are all that are left.....

Can the S5 use any Nikon batteries or just the Fuji ones?

Back