SAD ( Seasonal Affective Disorder)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone suffer from SAD ? if so how do you deal with it ? .

I have a light box but dosnt seem to help I feel down,cant sleep, feel tired all the time, drink more and eating some days eat more others eat nothing..I just cant cope.......

Well, I don't know if I do or not, I can identify with just about all of this things. I would imagine it's a tough one to officially diagnose. I know that in the winter I get up and go to work in the dark, then go home in the dark, so if I don't take a walk outside at lunch time then during the week I don't see the light of day. I feel l ike a mole. I don't sleep worth anything (though I've grown used to that). I reckon I eat OK...others will disagree.

I don't feel like I can't cope though, so I hope you find something, a way of making you feel better in the very near future.

Anyone suffer from SAD ? if so how do you deal with it ? .

I have a light box but dosnt seem to help I feel down,cant sleep, feel tired all the time, drink more and eating some days eat more others eat nothing..I just cant cope.......

I got diagnosed about five years ago. I work from home so I use a daylight bulb in my office and one in my living room. A light box work well for me but I prefer the lamp. Having a routine is a must. Some of the treatment you can get I won't discuss on an open forum but feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Oily fish is supposed to be very good for helping with mood.

My bodyclock shifts in winter so I don't want to sleep and wake up at the same hours at all. If you can organise things so you don't have to fight against your natural sleep/wake pattern you'll feel lots better.

If its really bad Happy Pills, otherwise i find it difficult to function, i have however found that its has improved slightly since i moved to a job, where the office has windows, i managed all last winter without, and am doing ok up to press but its early days, usually around Christmas it wacks me the worst

I don't suffer from SAD but really, really miss the sun when it's cloudy. This November has been bad, and today (like yesterday) it's pouring. I get lethargic too. Maybe it's because I've got so used to spending time in the sun. Who knows.

For some reason this year it feels worse, In the past I had a serious drink problem (yes I was an Alcoholic) was dry for about 10 years and decided to have the odd drink on a holiday in Cuba, I felt not a problem BUT now pass couple of weeks can’t cope, and drinking a lot more.
I am very happily married but I don’t have many friends, can count on one hand and almost all of them just use me.
Feel that I just want to meet someone new that has interests like me coffee, photography and non-judgemental.

I could go on but feel even more depressed. Sorry for spelling it's not my strong point..
:bonk:

Don't have SAD that I know of but I do have a copy of the Brecklands Dawn Chorus mp3 that I have playing at low volume from 5am every day (hifi has an sd card slot and an alarm/timer function) the recording makes winter mornings feel more summery. http://www.birdsongradio.com/birdsong-radio-mp3-download.php The recording is £5.97

Do you work with smokers who go outside regularly for smoke breaks? Hang out with them a couple of times a day. (Or if you want to stay away from their smoke, just go outside with them and have a 5 minute walk).

Just being outside for a while a few times a day can do wonders. (y)

Do you work with smokers who go outside regularly for smoke breaks? Hang out with them a couple of times a day. (Or if you want to stay away from their smoke, just go outside with them and have a 5 minute walk).

Just being outside for a while a few times a day can do wonders. (y)

just make sure your employer doesnt think youre slacking..

I must admit, I just took the mail down to the box instead of sending one of the juniors....A rather pleasant (if a bit short) meander. Light's already starting to go though :(

just make sure your employer doesnt think youre slacking..

They can't really though, if you're going out with smokers and coming back with them - else they would have to stop the smokers going out, too. (I am a smoker by the way)

When I was in the UK, we would all go out for a "smoke" as a group - there might be 5 or 6 of us - sometimes I was the only smoker. I found it to be very productive time, as typically we would talk about work, and the time would be used as a brainstorming session more than anything else.

Taking a 5 minute break every hour or two is also supposed to be good for you and your productivity.(y)

Due to the lack of summer i don't think I've actually got over last winter yet, North Yorkshire has got to be on a par with Scotland for rubbish weather.
I'm sort of lucky that i start work at 6am and finish at 3pm so i am getting about 1 hour of light ATM and always walk the dogs after work.

A thing that I find helps my mood in general is exercise! Nothing like breaking a sweat the get those endorphin's going.

Even if it's just a leisurely bike ride - it'll do wonders.

If exercise isn't your thing then invest your spare time in a project. Something you enjoy, something light-hearted - maybe even something you and your wife can do together?

Good luck to you (y)

Take a good quality cod liver oil for the vitamin D.

Your not on your own mate, this time of year is always bad. Get to your docs, tell him everything including the drink.

I was put on antidepressants this year for various reasons, my life has turned completely round.

Go get help and do it soon.

As a fellow sufferer I offer this as it is what helps me

Walk in daylight at least 1 hour a day (I have dogs so don't look weird ;))
I have a lumie daylight light I use for my jewellery hobby at least 1 hour a day
As said above stick to a routine, day by day
No daytime naps, if you feel the need to nap go walk!
The non smoking smoker breaks for 5 mins outside
And the bit you mentioned and already know, the greatest depressant known to man is alcohol - you've done it before, you can do it again, go dry.

Good luck

I take multivitamins every day during the winter and that seems to help me, i work shifts so daylight is a rarity for me in the winter

this is the trouble with self diagnosis - i'd say you ought to go see your doctor as this sounds more like depression which just happens to be occuring in the winter than seasonal affected disorder.

This would explain why daylight bulbs etc arent helping you, and also explains why you may have turned back to the demon drink - which won't help in the long run (as i'm sure you know)

Doctors for first diagnosis and the if it is a deprresive condition either pills or counselling or a combination of the two, and you might also want to think about an AA group, as they fully accept the alcholism is for life, and will provide you with the support you need to get back on the waggon.

Don't try to self diagnose or self medicate based on internet advice.

Back