Sad?

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
You think he is? I love photographing animals but I have such mixed feelings about seeing them in captivity. :(

I've been looking through some of my shots which didn't quite make it and found this one, Go on then - tear me a new one! :D

Thoughtful.jpg

Lovley shot, I really like it. It speaks volumes about the subject and wildlife shots (yeah I know he's not in the wild but you know what I mean) taken as portraits are are so touching.

Some bloke had a full page spread in the last PP about an exhibition of similar images. I was not too impressed with his though as they were far more in the style of record shots. Still, he found fame by travelling the world taking close up shots of various chimps, gorillas and orangutangs (sp?)

Plain old fashioned good work is seldom trendy these days...... but that's a rant for another thread. >>>>>>>>> :annoyed:

Oh yeah.... forgot to add, wouldn't you be sad if someone stuck you in that wig. ;)

This is the problem with zoos for me. The animals are not in their natural habitat and have had their freedom removed by our species. Now I appreciate it’s for their own conservation in the majority of cases and on the whole they are well looked after but as your shot clearly shows here, the animals themselves still suffer. I always struggle with those thoughts when I go to a zoo. :(

This is a fantastic (if sad) graphic representation of how a picture can say a thousand words. It’s a very powerful image CT.

You need to bring out his eyes more, they speak volumes.

Nice work.

SammyC said:
You need to bring out his eyes more, they speak volumes.

Nice work.

On this occasion I disagree, the image has a much more powerful connotation with the eyes looking down and almost being hidden in the shadows from his brow.

The sadness is clearly visible.

Thanks for the comments fellers. Apart from being a crop it's just as shot. It's a very contrasty image, being taken in strong sunlight at just the wrong time of day really. The image doesn't respond well to levels alterations without losing the mood, so I've just left it as is. I thought about toning down the lighter shoulder on the left side.

I also tried doing a vignette effect to darken around the edges and emphasise the expression, but it doesn't work with the obviously strong lighting and looks manipulated.

Steve said:
On this occasion I disagree, the image has a much more powerful connotation with the eyes looking down and almost being hidden in the shadows from his brow.

The sadness is clearly visible.

Maybe its my monitor then as I can't really make out his eyes, just a very dark patch. I'll have a look at home as my LCD display shows these colour better than my work TV.

Can see the eyes here but I also can't help feel that eye contact would have made it even more powerful.

It's very sharp and on my laptop it actually looks like it may be oversharpened?? I'd qualify that by saying this isn't a great screen.

It's a keeper CT :thumb:

That could be it Sammy, we are all looking at CT's photo using our own monitor's calibration settings and so what you are seeing might be incorrect to how CT has it, on the other hand it could be mine thats off. We can only comment on what we see :)

Here you go then - another version with the picture gamma raised by .20 although it's looking a tad light on my monitor.

Thoughtful2.jpg

Excellent capture there CT. He does look very sad, poor thing. I feel the same way about keeping them in captivity. It's a sin really. Again, great shot!

Jewel.

I have exactly the same feelings re taking pics at Zoo's, however, it will soon come to the point where some of these poor animals will only exist in Zoo's ! :(

Its a testament to this day and age that the main killer of these species is US ! :(

Where i dont like to see any animal in captivity, i would rather see them in captivity and breeding to be released back into the wild than disappear off the face of the planet !

It is a very very strong picture CT, leave it exaclty as it is mate ! It tells more than one story !

(ill get off me soapbox now !!!!) :coat:

Right, on LCD monitor at home the original looks just perfect! Good work there chap! :)

Just spent five minutes calibrating my work monitor and well that makes a world of difference! :)

Back