Safe to leave camera etc in car ?

Coley.

Bryant Gumble
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all.

Just wondering if leaving my camera equipment in the car will damage it ? Im thinking maybe the sudden drop in temperatures might cause problems with the lenses :shrug:
I only keep my tripod and monopod in the car at the moment but would be good to always have a camera to hand :)
The other thing im wondering, is would cycling around with the camera be likely to cause any issues (potholes,kerbs etc) Im finding myself driving and looking for places to stop- be much easier on 2 wheels :naughty:

Coley

Generally from that angle you'll be fine - however theres a sporting chance of it getting nicked , and most camera insurance won't cover theft from an unattended vehicle unless the kit is in the boot with a solid bulk head seperating it from the passenger compartment.

that said i usually keep a compact in the glove box (the other option being an Iphone or similar in your pocket)

my stuff lives in a bag by the door, I just pick it up on the way out.

When im cycling the camera lives in a rucksack, your body acts as a natural shock absorber, and if you fall off make sure you land face down to protect the camera:LOL:

I sometimes leave mine in the car and it works just fine. DSLR's are more robust that you'd think.

(although i don't need to worry about it being stolen during the day at work as its on an armed guard base, so a thief would do well to get to my car)

I like taking risks Pete :bat: My main concern was if rapid temperature changing might cause seals to break or somehow otherwise affect the lens. My work mate gave me a empty makita 10.8 box-reckon it would be ideal for chucking my 1000d in :)

Im still treating my 7d with kid gloves but am gradually taking it out and about alot more. Need to get in my head that it should be treated more like a well looked after tool.

Thanks for your thoughts (y)

Coley

We left a couple of lenses in a van for a couple of nights after an outdoor damp shoot, on getting them out we found fungus had started to grow in them.

Sounds like i should keep my 7d inside and just leave the 1000d in the glovebox. Just need to decide which lens to keep in the car now.....

Just get yourself some desiccant bags to put in your camera bag. I got some out of shoe boxes etc and just stuffed them in my bag. Should stop any damp getting into the lens or body.

Just get yourself some desiccant bags to put in your camera bag. I got some out of shoe boxes etc and just stuffed them in my bag. Should stop any damp getting into the lens or body.

This works a lot better if you can seal the container the camera is in rather than a normal camera bag.

Last edited:
Scary isn't it. I've usually got 32 psi in my tyres and on a normal day they rise 4-5 psi. Looked at tyres earlier and they were up to 41- nearly pulled over to let some air out,ha.

I don't think it's an issue leaving kit in the car unless you're going from one temperature to the other rapidly. I think that if you're going from extreme cold to hot, or vice versa, you increase the chances of getting fungus in the glass.
I personally wouldn't keep my dslr in the car as I like to have it to hand wherever I am. If its in the car I then can't get to it quickly at home. I keep it in a bag by the door where I can grab it easily when I need it or when I'm on my way out of the house.
There is obviously a greater risk of it being stolen from a car as well, and then potential hassles with insurance as a lot of car policies won't cover expensive gear.

iv'e had no issues keeping my camera gear in the boot of my car when camping for over a week at a time
it's more secure than a tent and probably less prone to sudden temp changes ( tents can get pretty warm when the sun comes out and pretty cold when after dusk ) iv'e done this for years with different camera bodies / lenses and had no problems at all

the uk weather on the whole is pretty mild and not really enough to upset todays DSLR's

vizzair said:
my stuff lives in a bag by the door, I just pick it up on the way out.

When im cycling the camera lives in a rucksack, your body acts as a natural shock absorber, and if you fall off make sure you land face down to protect the camera:LOL:

Ha ha. My friend once used his head to protect his camera. Glad he did - it's mine now (the camera, not the head)

Back