Safety Pins

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
Some close ups with some safety pins just for fun really but C&C welcome as always.

TFL

What's the lighting on these?

...and i used the flash on the hot shoe

Ooo, I would have guessed that, but didnt feel confident enough to say.

For me, they're not anywhere near close to your best. If I didn't know that you know this yourself, I probably wouldn't comment for fear of offending someone. Experiment with the flash off camera. I'm thinking low and flat firing across the pin from the side. :)

Ooo, I would have guessed that, but didnt feel confident enough to say.

For me, they're not anywhere near close to your best. If I didn't know that you know this yourself, I probably wouldn't comment for fear of offending someone. Experiment with the flash off camera. I'm thinking low and flat firing across the pin from the side. :)

Lee i am not that easily offended :)

i do have a question though, is the problem that the lighting flat or that picture of safety pins arranged in different patterns just arn't that interesting?

Will go play with the lighting anyways :)

I think both personally.

You could probably do something regimented with the layout and have them lined up as you do, but I think the shot should need to be really clinical for the image to work. Smooth even lighting, every pin in focus, or gently falling out of focus at the same rate, etc. At the moment, they're dort of lined up, but witha few wonky and the focus falling off at the ends. All this is just IMO though :D

Last edited:
Its a good subject to play around with but it does all look at bit flat and unimaginative. I don't mean that in a harsh way but I've seen other images you've posted which have been really good.

As someone else said, use some off camera flash and better DOF to bring some dimension into the images and recompose the shots to get some interesting angles and take the eye away from the background cloth.

Let us know how you get on because I have tried shots like this and always seem to get the focal point wrong. Just goes to show what I know! :coat:

Ok guys here's the second attempt not 100% sure of them but the lighting adds more interest :)

Ok i know its over exposed but i kinda like it :D

Background Colour - Bleurgh!

Composition - Hmmmm

Suggestion - Look at one pin, or the bunch, shoot for a planned mono conversion. Get in nice and low with the camera and try to take a shot of it so that we don't know what it is. The only slight problem might be that you can't get focus close enough with the lens.

At the mo they're still not jangling my wotsits too much!

Edit: Rather than offering thoughts and comments, I wish I had more time to actually experiment and take the shots myself. This is so frustrating. :(

Last edited:
I quite like the star pattern in the second set, but I'm afraid the other two just don't really do much for me :shrug: sorry.

Lol Lee thanks for the comments, i tried a single pin but couldn't get anything i was happy with. Will look at converting some into B&W see if it makes a difference :)

That background now reminds me of an untuned 'snowstorm' TV.

That's a pre-digital/satellite/cable reference for all youngsters ;)

Don't give up on the pins though! Or if you do, give the smoke art another go. Or have you already done that, and I missed it?

That background now reminds me of an untuned 'snowstorm' TV.

That's a pre-digital/satellite/cable reference for all youngsters ;)

Don't give up on the pins though! Or if you do, give the smoke art another go. Or have you already done that, and I missed it?

no i haven't mastered the smoke art while you weren't looking might give it a try this afternoon though. The pins i am done with i can't seem to get them to work and really safety pins not all that exciting :)

what about some blood, Lee has a liking for it. Go punk.

Now there's a thought.

I have a nice blood shot I want to try when time allows. And when I think I can get away with splashing red food colouring everywhere without getting told off by her who cleans up my messes ;)

I think i have had enough of pins tbh and i ahev kind of lost interest some days you have to give up and look at it another time :)

Now there's a thought.

I have a nice blood shot I want to try when time allows. And when I think I can get away with splashing red food colouring everywhere without getting told off by her who cleans up my messes ;)

suffer for your art, get it in yer thumb and use the real stuff ya wuzz

Just a little prick?

:LOL: :LOL: Was Blackadder not the best thing ever to hit British TV! :LOL: :LOL:

Could I just say that the one that worked for me was with the tiny DOF?

For me the oustanding shot Ruth is the weird perspectived #3!!! Makes my eyes boggle!

And use real blood Lee :) Its easy :)

Back