Safety tether?

Edit My Images
Yes
So, for the first time in 20+ years I have dropped and broken my camera :( I have arthritis in my left wrist joint and my right thumb joint, meaning I don't have full ability to grip like I used to. Most days I have the joints splinted for pain relief and support.

I normally carry my camera on a hip belt (spider holster, to be specific) as I'm often out walking a lot and it leaves my hands free. I really dislike anything around my neck.

Is there a safety tether that would allow me to still use my holster but would save my camera/lens should my grip fail again?

All you need is something like the Peak Design dongle thing and attach one to the camera and then say…their leash loop around your body.

Can put the little dongle things on a baseplate so it only attaches at the bottom.

So, for the first time in 20+ years I have dropped and broken my camera :( I have arthritis in my left wrist joint and my right thumb joint, meaning I don't have full ability to grip like I used to. Most days I have the joints splinted for pain relief and support.

I normally carry my camera on a hip belt (spider holster, to be specific) as I'm often out walking a lot and it leaves my hands free. I really dislike anything around my neck.

Is there a safety tether that would allow me to still use my holster but would save my camera/lens should my grip fail again?
Hmmm!
I wonder if a bandolier style strap would work for you?

FWIW when carrying my combo I use a Black Rapid strap across my body with the strap on my left shoulder so that it hangs at my right hip. So surmise that if hung a bit longer you could slip it in the spider holster as needed but whilst in use, I dropped it would not 'fall' far and the weight would be spread across your shoulder, chest & back.

HTH helps with something to think about ?

Sorry to hear that.

Cheap & simple - Boot lace from belt to camera.

Or

Wrist strap withquick release, so once it's back on the holster you can unclip the wriststrap?

Peakdesigns wrist strap is easy to use and has a magnet to wear it as a bracelet.

:plus1: for a wrist strap of some sort. I carry my camera in a pouch either across my shoulder or in my rucksack when out walking and since my hands are neither large nor strong I've never carried a camera without it attached to me. I use a Cordweaver wrist strap that I slip over my hand before taking the camera out of the pouch and slip off again once it's safely back inside, but the PD would work just as well.
A sling type strap mentioned above is another option but if you carry a rucksack it might hinder the action of the sling. When I was buying Optech was much cheaper (and better IMO) than Black Rapid. Tethering to your waist probably not so good as to to reach eye level the camera would have a fair way to drop before the tether stopped it

I use the over the shoulder type of bandolier strap, and love it.

But I am aware that there is still a single point of failure, with the screw into the tripod attachment point (please, don't ask!!) so I also have a safety tether from the camera around the strap itself. I use 3mm dinghy control line - you can Google it.

This possibly would be overkill, but when I occasionally have to work at height and take a camera I use a proper tool tether like this. It is elasticated so that if the camera is dropped it isn't subjected to a shock.

20231116_185204.jpg

To attach it to the camera I have a small cheese block that I screw to the tripod mount and to that I can add both an eye bolt to attach the tether, and a holster mount. I can't find where it is at the moment to take a picture unfortunately.

Last edited:
A Peak Design Cuff sounds like what you're looking for
:plus1:

I use one of these when I'm not using my Black Rapid (with a light lens) or my PD Sling (with a medium lens) on a D850. The cuff is easily removed from the camera and stores around your wrist using a small magnet built into the wrist loop. I mostly use it when using my Sigma 60-600mm as any sort of sling is pointless with a rig that large, I carry the setup using the lens foot in my hand and the cuff is there in case it slips out of my fingers. Peak Design say it is good for at least 90kgs, but although I weight [only!] 87kgs I don't think I'd like to try hanging from it (would be an interesting experiment though, I suppose).

:plus1:

I use one of these when I'm not using my Black Rapid (with a light lens) or my PD Sling (with a medium lens) on a D850. The cuff is easily removed from the camera and stores around your wrist using a small magnet built into the wrist loop. I mostly use it when using my Sigma 60-600mm as any sort of sling is pointless with a rig that large, I carry the setup using the lens foot in my hand and the cuff is there in case it slips out of my fingers. Peak Design say it is good for at least 90kgs, but although I weight [only!] 87kgs I don't think I'd like to try hanging from it (would be an interesting experiment though, I suppose).
I will hopefully be getting one for Christmas, conversely to you for use when I've only got a small lens on my X-T4. I use a Peak Design Slide at the moment, which is fine even with my 100-400mm lens but I'd like something smaller for walking around, days out etc. I also plan to pick up a Peak Design Sling bag to put the camera in when not in use

Some kind of cross body sling ( as mentioned before ) might be you best options. Cord Weaver do some quite long ones.
You should still be able to use your holster with this

I have arthritis in my hands as well, so always have some kind of neck or sling strap in use.

Wow! Lots of options by the sounds of it! Excellent, I'll have a look into all solutions suggested and work out which suits me better.

Thanks guys

A 'leash' that is attached to the camera (and to you), which allows the eyepiece to be brought up to the eye, yet does not permit the camera to hit the ground.
I measured my belt-to-eye distance and it was shorter than my belt-to-ground distance...but that will not work if kneeling down!

A wrist strap, if you always pass your hand thru the loop before you remove camera from a belt holster/clip.

Last edited:
I've always thought of camera holsters as a problem waiting to happen.

I prefer a bag with the strap crosswise on my chest. My cameras have their strap attached and as I take the camera out, I loop the neck strap two or three times around my wrist. It hasn't failed me yet...

Sony canera neck strap wrapped around wrist TZ70 P1030844.JPG

Proper camera shoulder strap. End of discussion, end of accidents.
As I suggested in post #4.....…

If @Ghost has issues hand holding and fears dropping the camera IMO a wrist strap might be to constraining.........where by using a bandolier strap the camera will hang at the (right) hip thus relieving the hands of the weight.

As I suggested in post #4.....…

If @Ghost has issues hand holding and fears dropping the camera IMO a wrist strap might be to constraining.........where by using a bandolier strap the camera will hang at the (right) hip thus relieving the hands of the weight.

The Peak Design Slide with bottom-fixing Anchor is a good design, I've just started using it with my D850.

I have the PD slide lite and fix that to the left anchor point & the tripod point, camera hangs nicely over the shoulder and also leaves the right side of the camera totally free of straps etc for easier use.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, I'm looking strongly into a bandolier-type of tether as I think that would be safest but also giving me enough freedom of movement too.

I've always thought of camera holsters as a problem waiting to happen.

I prefer a bag with the strap crosswise on my chest. My cameras have their strap attached and as I take the camera out, I loop the neck strap two or three times around my wrist. It hasn't failed me yet...

View attachment 406878
On the rare occasions I use a camera with a neck strap that's what I do. Works a treat.

Back