[SAILING] SORC Fastnet - 2016

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Have not picked a camera up in well over 2 years...thought I would give something new a go. Any advice or pointers to get these better is welcome. Really enjoyed first try, even though chucked up most the time!

Sorry if I have posted too many or wrong size...cannot remember the limits and could not find anything advising.

28091001385_86f3fc5851_b.jpg

27476082804_89c3c0aa14_b.jpg

27810120690_b1a4770191_b.jpg

28012840621_00a00f3c0e_b.jpg

28056455986_c90cbca0b4_b.jpg

27988176412_c0e07cbdbb_b.jpg

27476051263_28da8f6cf3_b.jpg

28056626506_119d8e97ab_b.jpg

Last edited:
could you number them for individual comments

all superb -- though a few really caught my eye

all reefed i see - looks wild.....:)

1st one is my favorite...that dark sky makes the whole image frightening. One's got to have nerves of steel to sail solo IMO...the sea and its power simply dwarfs anything man made.

Superb action photos.

As sailor, I can appreciate the power of the wind and seas, the photos relay that very well.

Quality wise, they are sharp and crisp. Excellent overall. As part of the portfolio, I think I would have included some more shots that were not so close up. #13 does that I know. No critiscm..., just a thought

Excellent.

Mj

Great conditions and some favourable light in places. My advice would be twofold. Try to get in tighter and get some expressions on the helmsman's face with spray/ rigging framing the shot or try to stay in front (don't know if you were driving yourself!) And look for shots that show the dynamism of the situation with waves breaking over the bow etc.
Anyway jealous here...

Cheers

J

#14 really appeals...............seems lonely but with the end in sight

Too many, no way. Absolutely stunning photography. What I cannot understand is where were standing to get so very close. Every details is so sharp, the skipper of the boats are so unconcerned that their boats are almost on the sides, the swell of the sea is cascading into the boats and boats almost crashing into each other.

Last edited:
What a powerful and excellent set. That first pic is particularly well composed and atmospheric.

Thanks for the replies :) Would have liked to get a bit closer but in the conditions and on a 6 metre RIB was a bit tough even getting these shots between huge waves. It surprised me also how cool they all looked in the rough sea...most of them are still out there sailing back from the Fastnet Rock (Started on Saturday AM) all single handed too! Lot of respect for people who can do that kind of endurance. Will be back for another go for sure but before then its time for some Air Show shooting! :D

Back