Sainsbury Energy (and OVO)

Edit My Images
No
Thinking of switching from British Gas to Sainsbury Energy - the prices are significantly lower. Has anyone done this and have any comments about Sainsbury service etc.

Thanks,
AL

We swapped from BG to the co op 2 years ago.
tbh I can't see any difference between ANY of energy suppliers, (other than prices obviously) it isn't like you want em round your house every week fixing/maintaining anything.

I'm going to as BG said i'd save £562 per annum with their sister company Sainsbury,just got the annual statement last week, that's for dual fuel.

I'm going to as BG said i'd save £562 per annum with their sister company Sainsbury,just got the annual statement last week, that's for dual fuel.
Bloody hell fire mate what you got there a cannabis farm :LOL: £562 saving that almost 3/4 of my energy bills.

Last edited:
I keep double posting today

Last edited:
I'm with Sainsbury Energy and have had no issues. In fact, I've never had any issues with any energy company yet.

I have heard of some issues with their customer service early on, but then this might have been a glitch ...

I'm thinking of it, just not sure how long it'll last as they've pulled the plug on their mobile phone service now...

I switched from Eon to Sainsbury / British Gas about a month back - saving over £700 a year. BG own prices were almost identical to Eon.

No problems at all with the switch or service so far. Mind you I have endless faith in the ability of any energy company to c*ck things up eventually.

I am looking at OVO, have heard good reports about it and prices are very good. Anyone here with them,would like comments about them before I take the plunge.

I had some issues last year when I switched as it took ages to get both gas and electricity onto them and actually making the savings which seemed to be an issue with them rather than my previous dual fuel supplier or the BG side. I ran again with them this year as the savings I could show where minimal against changing. The hassle of changing is a lot less than it used to be but staying for a very small premium and earning nectar points seemed worth it.

Having been with E-on for both gas and electricity for a few years I received an e-mail from them yesterday with a price rise hike from £79 to £95 (monthly direct debit) a month after my present term ends on 20th of next month.
Went on uSwitch and found that SSE was my best bet with a 'saving' of £272 for the year and I have applied for the switch.
I also found that I was £254 in credit with E-on and have asked for a refund.

I am looking at OVO, have heard good reports about it and prices are very good. Anyone here with them,would like comments about them before I take the plunge.
I've been with Ovo for about 3 years. Excellent company to deal with.
* They don't try to confuse you with lots of different tariffs.
* Their statements are very clear and easy to comprehend.
* If you have a question or problem with your account, their customer service people are very good.
* They pay you interest if your account goes into credit.
* Their prices are consistently competitive.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for that Stewart, they get very good reports from the Which Magazine, will ring tomorrow, ;)

I was with Sainsbury's for two years. Initial low price looked good but then they kept putting the monthly direct debit up for no reason. In fact once I rang up to moan and they said "oh we're putting it up because it looks like its going to be a cold winter this year" wtf!!!

Now with Ovo. Only a couple of months, so not sure what they're like yet.

I'm also with OVO. Changed to them from BG about 4 years ago. Got fed up with BG trying to increase Direct Debit. When I left they owed me a substantial sum. They didn't pay it in a timely manner so I contacted CEO and asked for interest. Received an apology and compensation.

Changed to OVO and have had no problems. I agree with Stewarts comments. I am always in credit but happy to be so as they pay me 3% interest.

We're currently with British Gas. Do other companies like OVO and Sainsburys do boiler servicing contracts as well?

boiler servicing contracts as well?
Oooh you didnt want one of those. Set up a new savings account, rename it to "Boiler" and put £10 a month in it on standing order. £50 should sort a local plumber coming to service it once a year. The spare builds up for anything else. Of course you have to never "dip in" to this account for anything else.

Ovo looks the way to go. Just want to make sure I won't incur any penalty by leaving BG before I switch. £300 per year saving (allegedly)!

AL

Another vote for OVO, excellent customer service (dont hold for years to talk to someone!), very easy to use website and useful stats for checking consumption.

You may be on a contract with BG, I was with sainsburys. Had to wait for contract to expire before I could leave.

Yes I am. The contract runs out in February 2016 but I've just been informed that there are no penalties for leaving. However, I'm about £300 in credit at the moment, approx £200 of which would be refunded to me in February based on usage. I'm going to try to get it back before switching if possible.

AL

Yes I am. The contract runs out in February 2016 but I've just been informed that there are no penalties for leaving. However, I'm about £300 in credit at the moment, approx £200 of which would be refunded to me in February based on usage. I'm going to try to get it back before switching if possible.

AL
Not sure that makes sense. If you'd get a better deal with a different supplier, switch now and get them to refund the full £300. If you stay with them until February that's 2-3 more months when you're paying a higher than necessary price for your energy.

You are right of course. Just hope I don't have any problems with the refund once I've started the ball rolling.

Thanks,
AL

Now an OVO customer!

AL

And I presume it was a painless experience ? Simple to do ?

Have you worked out approx what you'll save per month with them and are you tied into them for a fixed term ?

Seem to have good reviews, thinking about swapping...

Even if you are contracted/tied in, it can still be cheaper to pay a small penalty to leave/change suppliers.

Also, anyone can leave their contract without penalty once you get to less than 50 days.

We're currently with British Gas. Do other companies like OVO and Sainsburys do boiler servicing contracts as well?

You can still keep your service with BG if you wanted, even if you change supplier.

Phoned OVO today and more than happy with what I heard, no I did not fall for the sales talk, I give them my consumption of gas and electricity for the last 12 months in pounds and the price that they calculated which matched mine as I had already worked it out on there unit prices will save me £26 per month or £312 per year.

And I presume it was a painless experience ? Simple to do ?

Have you worked out approx what you'll save per month with them and are you tied into them for a fixed term ?

Seem to have good reviews, thinking about swapping...

Well I only signed up yesterday. Apparently it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the switch to be completed,. £30 + less per month! It's a fixed price deal for 12 months. They take care of everything - no need for you to tell your existing supplier.

AL

Having been with E-on for both gas and electricity for a few years I received an e-mail from them yesterday with a price rise hike from £79 to £95 (monthly direct debit) a month after my present term ends on 20th of next month.
Went on uSwitch and found that SSE was my best bet with a 'saving' of £272 for the year and I have applied for the switch.
I also found that I was £254 in credit with E-on and have asked for a refund.
So you will save about £18/year

I've been with Ovo for about 3 years. Excellent company to deal with.
* They don't try to confuse you with lots of different tariffs.
* Their statements are very clear and easy to comprehend.
* If you have a question or problem with your account, their customer service people are very good.
* They pay you interest if your account goes into credit.
* Their prices are consistently competitive.

Highly recommended.

Yep this... Been with Ovo 3 years now, it's the only energy supplier where I have not wanted to switch after the first year... The online meter readings are a doddle.

I'm with ovo too. Worked out best for me. No issues at all.

Emailed British Gas this morning asking for a refund of £200 out of my credit. Just received a reply saying it will be in my account within five days.

AL

No, he'll save about £272 per year. Or are you saying that E-On won't refund?
Saying that he will say £18 as he is in credit by £254. So that means he is not using as much as he thinks. Then the saving isn't real unless he did a very accurate comparison. And used actual kWh in comparison.

I'm always in credit this time a year, it evens out over the year. If I count my chickens now, and cash in, I'll be left short later.

"Then the saving isn't real unless he did a very accurate comparison. And used actual kWh in comparison."

Yes, one must use actual consumption to get a true comparison.

AL

Last edited:
Back