Sally

wegotitugetit

On the hit list !!!
Name
alex
Edit My Images
Yes
let me know what you think had a play in photoshop with these the last one i went for a black and white on the sea type photo

there was no colour in the sky so this is what i have worked with would like some good critique on where im going wrong pref in photoshop

no1
031.jpg

no 2

sally6.jpg

Last edited:
ok, its a boat, horizon in on the wonk, sea dull, sky flat,

does nothing for me whatsoever

Sorry

well done for working out it is a boat :LOL::LOL: the horizon isnt actually wonky the way the sea is set as it is wider on the left then the right i understand i need to change the that and for the sky cant really do much with that i am just about to re post these images as they do look a bit naff

off to sort these out lost alot of quality

Last edited:
well done for working out it is a boat :LOL::LOL: the horizon isnt actually wonky the way the sea is set as it is wider on the left then the right i understand i need to change the that and for the sky cant really do much with that i am just about to re post these images as they do look a bit naff

off to sort these out lost alot of quality

It might be wider, but it's also sloping, either that or the ship is sinking ;) (I've run it through Lightroom to confim this - I mean that the horizon is off, not that the ship is sinking :LOL:)

Last edited:
it's awkward, measure the boat on the horizon'ometer as i'm reasonably sure it's level which would be the focal point?

can't win all i suppose

ok, its still a boat, the sea is still dull, and the sky is still flat, other than that the horizon is wonky.

and the point of posting that again was try something more constructive and original not copy someone if not please do not post

im after help here on what i can do to sort and thanks flash and alexkidd for your comments they have been noted

Last edited:
it's awkward, measure the boat on the horizon'ometer as i'm reasonably sure it's level which would be the focal point?

can't win all i suppose

i am going to try and sort the horizon out tonight with photoshop and re post

and before anyone says anything im not been nasty to people above im after some help not repeat the same over and over again sorry if i come across this way but if you can post anything good then please dont bother

Last edited:
and the point of posting that again was try something more constructive and original not copy someone if not please do not post

The point in posting that was, the original post by Lynton was aimed at the first two pictures. You then did some 'edits' and the same applied, the picture was not improved hence the same answer.

The only thing that changed from no2 to numbers 3 & 4, is one you have destaurated and the other you have upped the saturation. In other words not correcting or improving any of the things that were wrong with the picture in the first place.

The phrase being unable to polish a turd springs to mind.

The point in posting that was, the original post by Lynton was aimed at the first two pictures. You then did some 'edits' and the same applied, the picture was not improved hence the same answer.

The only thing that changed from no2 to numbers 3 & 4, is one you have destaurated and the other you have upped the saturation. In other words not correcting or improving any of the things that were wrong with the picture in the first place.

The phrase being unable to polish a turd springs to mind.

the photos above have are not the same ones as i posted so the comments were for diffrent ones please see above

and this is where you are meant to say oh do this or try that this is what i was asking instead you repeated a comment on something totally diffrent pics so ok im not very good in photoshop but i can see a diffrence in the photos atleast i try , try and point me in the wright direction instead of just been able to find things wrong thanks for pointing them out i do know there is things wrong i want to know how to improve them not how bad they look

ok, after reading all this I have a few suggestions...

Forget photoshop for a min, because you have to get a good photo in the first place, now if your happy with this image then fine, there may be bits and bobs that can be done to help, but if you were happy with it we wouldn't be having this convo on PS now.

There are more problems with this image than there is photoshop functions to fix it, to point you in the right direction I would say that you should be asking for advice on good angles on shooting ships/boats.

It is a good thing that you wish to learn more about Photoshop, but anyone can push the right buttons in the right order, what is harder to do is get the good image to start with.

When choosing this picture for manipulation, what was it you had in mind for it ?

My apologies for sounding patronising, its not my intention.

thank you so much for a response this is what i am looking for
1. the image in my eyes was acceptable but i knew improvment was needed
2.for gettign the correct shot is hard i am still playing with the camera and laerning but as this is a river the tide changes all the time inc when the ships come past and getting the right moment is hard i know there is places to improve and thinking what you said i suppose there could be more done but how is my question

angles etc i have a few other angles will psot a few later on i reall want to go back but need some ideas what and how i need to improve

and you were not patonising i appreciate you taking time and given something constructive towards this thanks

OK, so it's not the best of pictures, which has already been said so I won't go over that again.

I tried an edit (I'm no Pro at PS either)

First I cropped the image.
Then I added a Curves layer and set it to strong contrast
I then did a levels layer and selected Auto Levels
Straightened it up.

I hope this is of some help to you

sally2.jpg

You could learn to walk on water, you could get whatever shot you wanted then.

Not very constructive, I know, just trying to lighten the mood of this post

Merchant vessel fans will like it as will the owners in all probability.

Technically I think the problems arise due to the lack of "punch/drama " in the subject. For instance a pilot boat drawing alongside would make it much more interesting

The sky and sea are dull and and the dark bridgeworks (particularly aft of the bridge) are getting lost in the machinery on the far shore.

Changing the processing is not in my opinon going to help the image which is intrinsically ok but just ok.

Irrespective of which if you like it that's fine.

some very diffrent comments there thanks guys it has given me something to think of just relaied i have a few more on flickr will post them see what you think to these

maybe there should be a bit more action like psifox says is this what it is mainly missing baring the skyline and level of the background if these were sorted out

Last edited:
This one is a much better version, i was going to suggest having a play with curve's and levels then i seen this version, the other thing you could try is to replace the whole sky in PS, however you would need photos of some better looking sky, which you could probably take separately :)

OK, so it's not the best of pictures, which has already been said so I won't go over that again.

I tried an edit (I'm no Pro at PS either)

First I cropped the image.
Then I added a Curves layer and set it to strong contrast
I then did a levels layer and selected Auto Levels
Straightened it up.

I hope this is of some help to you

sally2.jpg

Back