Beginner Salon Interior Photography

Name
Kellyanne
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to photograph a salon interior. This is something that I haven't done before.

Need tips and advice. On Lighting, Set Up etc...

I am being given the salon for the day (when its closed)

I would have thought a salon shoot would be better with staff in action.

What's the interior like? Could you do it with natural light and a tripod or does it need additional light?

Is this salon as in room or as in hair dresser?

Hey guys.

To start with it's going to be an empty salon as this is something I haven't done before.

Ancient-Mariner- The salon is narrow with low ceilings, not the brightest of rooms. It has a small bay window in the from. So would need additional lights. Its 3 different rooms all linked by narrow walk ways.

rjbell- plan is to practice on an empty salon so I can see how things turn out, then go back when there is staff & customers. The salon owner is opening up then leaving me there for however long it takes me.

Jayst84 - they are looking for images that could potentially be used to advertise. It's completely out of what I'm used to doing so not sure how to achieve the best of the situation.

Thanks

Hey guys.

To start with it's going to be an empty salon as this is something I haven't done before.

Ancient-Mariner- The salon is narrow with low ceilings, not the brightest of rooms. It has a small bay window in the from. So would need additional lights. Its 3 different rooms all linked by narrow walk ways.

rjbell- plan is to practice on an empty salon so I can see how things turn out, then go back when there is staff & customers. The salon owner is opening up then leaving me there for however long it takes me.

Jayst84 - they are looking for images that could potentially be used to advertise. It's completely out of what I'm used to doing so not sure how to achieve the best of the situation.

Thanks

I understand your reasoning. But pictures of a salon with no people are a bit pointless.

I understand your reasoning. But pictures of a salon with no people are a bit pointless.

Not necessarily, I'm shooting a huge job at the moment, which includes quite a lot of hair and beauty salon shots with no-one in them.

Edit to expand: the interior of a salon can be a large part of their branding and what they're selling. It's a luxury product/service after all. They're selling the experience, not a five quid haircut. The complete marketing collateral is probably going to include shots of people, but there's a good chance they will have a use for clean shots of the salon as well. And the shots of people will often be models shot in another location, rather than 'action' shots at the salon.

A decent overview of the interior fitout can be great for web/Facebook banners for example. And detail shots of design features, nice chairs and furniture, £800 scissors and other tools, etc. can be used across web and other collateral.

Last edited:
This.
Complete waste of time for advertising purposes.

The final images will have people in, I'm doing a pre-test to get settings/lighting etc...

I would want to see it before offering any worthwhile advice - and so would any experienced photographer, so any advice offered blind on this job is probably pretty worthless.

But without seeing it, I can only share my immediate and obvious thoughts
1. You clearly know nothing about lighting, so it might be best to avoid any form of artificial lighting and rely on PP rather than lighting.
2. Take a lot of different shots in different positions, wideangle shots are likely to work the best and very low angle shots will almost certainly be much better than high angle or neutral shots.
3. Once you've had your practice sessions, convey movement and activity via fairly long exposures (1 or 2 seconds is usually about right) to get movement blur of people

As per Garry above, you can't comment without seeing but my immediate thought is mirors! These are a nightmare both from a reflection of camera/photographer point of view but more so as if you introduce any light it will be very hard to control.

Back