Salt on your food

I seem to remember it was called a Classic Capri? did it have 5 stars on the grille too.

You have prompted me to look.

Yes, though I note many references call the Ford Consul Classic Capri!

But it was notable that when the "Capri" came out it was (once the Mk2 arrived) called the Mark 1 hence the disowned reference i.e. if that was the Mk1 what was the 'Classic' Capri??? Edit ~ none of the online pictures show badging of "Classic" just Capri (with GT on some).

Please resume normal service ~ re: (too much) salt :)

Last edited:
I had forgotten about that consul capri.

Looked like a Detroit designer tried to imagineer a Riviera cruiser for the masses; totally missing the point of Riviera cruisers.

Sorry......salt.

I did a quick Google and all I could find (for now ~ if I am bothered to dig deeper???) was ref the the "Salt 'n Shake" bags (sachet bag of salt inside) coming back with no mention of the original paper twist.

Shades of Ford disowning the original UK Ford Capri.......................yes there was a Mk1 that pre-dated the model most folk recall as the original Capri ;)

However, the vague memory was that when they (Smiths or Walkers?) wanted to go all nostalgia and insert salt in paper twists, all the company records showed that the machine had been destroyed and would be too expensive to recreate.>>> hence the modern sachet was adopted???

Here are the twist salt ‘bags’. It did take a bit of searching.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23885771@N03/3446600595

Shades of Ford disowning the original UK Ford Capri.......................yes there was a Mk1 that pre-dated the model most folk recall as the original Capri ;)

Ford never disowned the Classic Capri production ceased after poor sales as people would rather buy the Mk1 Cortina that was available at the same time. The mk1 Capri that arrived in 69 wasn't a replacement for the Classic Capri it was a small European coupè emulating the Mustang. Through development it was hence known as Colt but Ford were unable to use the name in producing the car because of Mitsubishi. As a result the resurrected the Capri name.

Unlike the Sierra (which was originally called the Probe as a concept) - Ford sued Dutton (who had been producing their Sierra for 3 years before Ford launched theirs.)

Unlike the Sierra (which was originally called the Probe as a concept) - Ford sued Dutton (who had been producing their Sierra for 3 years before Ford launched theirs.)
Ford had already "registererd" the name in the UK, 2yrs prior having done a deal on the use of the name with Renault and someone else. Ford offered Dutton £5k to cease using the name but Dutton resisted, hoping the court case would result in cheap advertising as they took on a major car manufacturer. In the proceedings of the case it came to light that although Ford had registered the name a civil service strike at the time meant the registration never got processed. Both parties settled their own court fees as a result.

Bag! when I was young the salt was in a twist wrap of blue paper.............you could salt to taste ;)

I recall a story that when Smiths Crisps wanted to re-introduce the 'salt your own' they discovered that someone in their wisdom had scrapped the "salt in the twist of paper" machine so had to revert to new fangled 'bags' (sachets).

I'm old enough to remember the 'novelty' of Smith's Salt 'n Shake back in the late 70s, which must have been when they introduced those flat sachets, as I don't recall anything else. My parents, of course, remembered the original version, which must have been replaced by 'ready salted' at some point in the 60s. Today I prefer unsalted crisps when I can get them, and rarely add salt to anything except an occasional portion of chips; there's too much hidden salt in processed food as it is. Freshly ground pepper does it for me.

Back