Same old dilemma - do I take my Nikon 600mm f4 to S Africa

Edit My Images
No
I always "pack it" then don't take it and take my 300 f4 and 300mm f2.8 with the 3 x TC's

If I take it I will also have to take a "big" tripod and Gimbal

AND it will have to go in a suitcase BUT as hold baggage ....... wrapped in clothes to cushion it ..........

about £100 round trip for an extra bag ... money not really the issue ...... I'd just be expecting that when I take it out of the bag it will "rattle" and be in pieces, (especially after reading how far the baggage handlers throw your suitcase)

I could try it as hand baggage ... but I will have another 12 kilos of photo/computer hand baggage, plus stuff in every pocket

Leave it at home. Use the 300 and 2xtc. Its a big deal having to take it and the big tripod etc if you gave an alternative.

I agree with you, but you probably know how i feel .. would just love to have it out there with me .......... I have always got away with taking most of my gear, including the 300mm f2.8 with me as hand luggage

Yeah i know. I never use my 300 with anything other than the 1.4tc so i always take rhe 600 with me in the cabin with my Gitzo in the hold but its always a worry. If your confident on the 300 and 2xtc then thats a good easy solution saving you the worry but then the 600 and 2xtc might just be enough to get you that life defining shot. Lol

Personally I'd take it, if it's your main go to lens then that's what you'll be comfortable with.. Take the 2.8 but leave the f4

I made the mistake of not taking my 600 on a trip last year, and regretted it.. I won't make that error twice.

Just a thought or idea, Bill, could you hire a 600 lens whilst out there?

Just a thought or idea, Bill, could you hire a 600 lens whilst out there?

not really Simon - when they see my 300mm they think that it is wonderful - different world as far as costs are concerned

As for packing it... would a Vanguard or Pelican case be an idea, yes it will cost you but give you that assurance. Is there even a way you could courier your equipment to the hotel before you arrive? (sorry if that's a daft question and a bad idea!)

it's just a "big lump" with the tripod and Wimberley to transport around .... even though we are there for two months

it's just a "big lump" with the tripod and Wimberley to transport around .... even though we are there for two months
Well if you said 2 weeks that's a different story but 2months it has to go ;) can you not just take an empty bean bag and fill it up out there or use a pillow when there rested on anything close to just lay down? Excuse my ignorance if that's just not feasible there sorry

Bill
What are yougoing to photograph?If it is the larger animals then you will probably not need it but you will regret not taking it if you are wanting to get the birds. I had a business trip and had a day where someone picked me up at Jo'burg and took me to Marievale.I took my 100-400 and regretted not taking my 500mm- even for the day. There are options for renting out there.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing some when you get back.
Enjoy!

Bill
What are yougoing to photograph?If it is the larger animals then you will probably not need it but you will regret not taking it if you are wanting to get the birds. I had a business trip and had a day where someone picked me up at Jo'burg and took me to Marievale.I took my 100-400 and regretted not taking my 500mm- even for the day. There are options for renting out there.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing some when you get back.
Enjoy!

Hi John

it will be my usual .... birds on the nature reserve were we stay ........ birds up river in a Canoe .......... birds on the coast, Lagoon and inland lakes ....... plus animal in a few "softie' smaller Game Reserves ..... I may take a 4 day trip to Botswana ....... but we are on the south coast and I always find it very comfortable if I don't venture so far .......... just bought another "suitcase" which would do the job, but I'll decide next week ..... we go on Thursday, what to do ........ but if I take the 600mm and big tripod ....... I will not be that popular with my wife

........ but if I take the 600mm and big tripod ....... I will not be that popular with my wife
Bill,

Man up! Just tell her that she cannot take as much stuff because you NEED to take the lens:D

When we went to the Galapagos,with a weight restriction the first thing that was packedwas camera gear - then the wife and children could pack with what weight was left!Actually weight restriction was not enforced, but its the principal!!

Enjoy your trip!

Bill,

Man up! Just tell her that she cannot take as much stuff because you NEED to take the lens:D

When we went to the Galapagos,with a weight restriction the first thing that was packedwas camera gear - then the wife and children could pack with what weight was left!Actually weight restriction was not enforced, but its the principal!!

Enjoy your trip!

John

I did discuss the situation in detail with my wife - good news: we will be taking an extra case - cost about £150 return - bad news: she can now take more stuff ......... "and don't be silly there is no way you can take that stupid big lens"

when you have been married 43 years ......well I'll leave it to you

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

On my trip to SA a few years back, I took my 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4 1.4x and 2x TC with a 20D. It met most of my needs, even managed shots with the TCs stacked on the prime and 20D which I thought you couldn't do. Reach wise in the Kruger I was at my limit sometimes but I was limited on weight with the airlines, well the internal flights, although they didn't check, but couldn't take the risk before hand. I did see people with 500/600mm primes and tripods, but I guess they had more money than sense.

View attachment 93115 View attachment 93116 View attachment 93117

On my trip to SA a few years back, I took my 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4 1.4x and 2x TC with a 20D. It met most of my needs, even managed shots with the TCs stacked on the prime and 20D which I thought you couldn't do. Reach wise in the Kruger I was at my limit sometimes but I was limited on weight with the airlines, well the internal flights, although they didn't check, but couldn't take the risk before hand. I did see people with 500/600mm primes and tripods, but I guess they had more money than sense.

what I usually take are as follows: (I am currently getting it all together)

2 x DSLR's - D810 and D750 this year
Nikon V1 + FT-1 with two kit lenses
300mm f2.8 VR, and 300mm f4 VR
105mm f2.8VR, and 50mm f1.8
70 200mm f2.8VR
16 35mm f4 VR
TC 1,4, TC 1,7 TC 2,0
SB800 + part of the R1C1kit to fit the 105mm f2.8
3 extension tubes
Sigma DP1M and Sigma DP3M
Gitzo 1, (Mountaineer) tripod and Gitzo head
Canon S95 and Leica M8
two pairs of Leitz Binos 8 x 32 and 7 x 42 and the smaller Leica 8 x 20
A couple of Bean Bags and a throw over "hide"
Batteries, chargers etc .... and a couple of those portable power banks
small tape recorder and mike
If I can slip my Olympus EP-1 + 20mm f1.7, that gets thrown in
MBP + iPad + iPad mini
I could have missed something

a few other odds and sods

(If I were to take the 600mm f4 _ I will have to take the big CF Gitzo plus Wimberley Gimbal) - so it's not going to happen

This will be the 5th year I have taken all this stuff ........ so you can image what "normal" non photographers think - even our friends who join us

we get 23kgs each on Virgin plus 10kg hand - plus I usually fill my pockets with 8kg
we have to take an internal flight so that goes down to 20kgs

we are always on the limit

I always sweat like a pig coming back when all our outward bound weight gets added to because of what may have been bought, so my normal 85kgs body weight shoots up to 95kg or more - it's no fun wearing 3 shirts, two pairs of trousers etc., at George Airport in the middle of their summer ......... although my Yorkshire "tightness" hates to pay for extra luggage .......I can do this no more ....... so another case has been bought from Amazon and it will be filled with ? ........ but not my "dream' to have the 600mm with me for 8 weeks ....... sadness:)

Last edited:
I also bought one of the ultralight backpacks to manage how much I was carrying. Would really love to take my 500mm next time. Probably a sensible idea to purchase the extra bag. Would love to head back to South Africa sometime, I've had some great visits there over the years. Really like to do the north part of the kurger park, but never really had the opportunity due to timescales and visit some of the private game reserves that have sprung up.

I also bought one of the ultralight backpacks to manage how much I was carrying. Would really love to take my 500mm next time. Probably a sensible idea to purchase the extra bag. Would love to head back to South Africa sometime, I've had some great visits there over the years. Really like to do the north part of the kurger park, but never really had the opportunity due to timescales and visit some of the private game reserves that have sprung up.

Quite often you will have to take a smaller plane .. were the weight limits are less and also the normal cabin bag will not fit in the overheads ... so they insist on taking your cabin bag off you - I end up, more of the time giving them an empty cabin bag having put the 300mm f2.8 VR around my neck and stuff the rest of the camera equipment around my person and also given my wife stuff the carry - it is just worth remembering that limits are less on smaller planes which most of the time you cannot book as part of your overall ticket.

i.e. we are taking the flight from HRW to George ..... Virgin fly to Joberg and you cannot book the internal flight from Joberg to George as part of the Virgin ticket .. they do not have an agreement with any airline that flies Joberg to George - so the different limits apply depending on the leg and you are really down to the lowest common denominator weight-wise.

In comparison an AirFrance ticket say from Bristol to George via Paris and Joberg, using the same SA local airline that you use (booked separately) on the Virgin flight . will allow the 23kgs/12kgs limit all the way to George as they have an agreement with the local SA Airlines ........... but after 4 years of AirFrance, Bordeaux/Paris/Joberg/George ..... it's no more as they have just got worse and worse ............ so this year it's Virgin for the first time plus an extra bag

Last edited:
I did LHW to Joberg with BA then connection from Joberg to George with one of SA local airlines, booked it all though expedia. The local airline was like Ryanair or EasyJet with hand luggage size limit, but BA had no hand luggage limit, just bag size, although now I think it's 23Kgs as well as bag size

I did LHW to Joberg with BA then connection from Joberg to George with one of SA local airlines, booked it all though expedia. The local airline was like Ryanair or EasyJet with hand luggage size limit, but BA had no hand luggage limit, just bag size, although now I think it's 23Kgs as well as bag size

Joberg/George route is not now too bad as the planes are getting bigger, (but Kulula is still 20kgs versus 23kgs for Virgin, BA.etc) .. but the Cape Town to George route is still operated using small planes

I'm a bloke, hold bag was packed light, so had no issues with baggage allowance, just the hand luggage limits, hence I refused to fly Virgin as their hand luggage limit was 6Kg carry on, even contacted them and told them about camera gear and they refused to budge so flew with BA, never had an issue flying with them and been to SA, OZ, Canada, US with them long haul with camera gear

what I usually take are as follows: (I am currently getting it all together)

2 x DSLR's - D810 and D750 this year
Nikon V1 + FT-1 with two kit lenses
300mm f2.8 VR, and 300mm f4 VR
105mm f2.8VR, and 50mm f1.8
70 200mm f2.8VR
16 35mm f4 VR
TC 1,4, TC 1,7 TC 2,0
SB800 + part of the R1C1kit to fit the 105mm f2.8
3 extension tubes
Sigma DP1M and Sigma DP3M
Gitzo 1, (Mountaineer) tripod and Gitzo head
Canon S95 and Leica M8
two pairs of Leitz Binos 8 x 32 and 7 x 42 and the smaller Leica 8 x 20
A couple of Bean Bags and a throw over "hide"
Batteries, chargers etc .... and a couple of those portable power banks
small tape recorder and mike
If I can slip my Olympus EP-1 + 20mm f1.7, that gets thrown in
MBP + iPad + iPad mini
I could have missed something

a few other odds and sods

(If I were to take the 600mm f4 _ I will have to take the big CF Gitzo plus Wimberley Gimbal) - so it's not going to happen

This will be the 5th year I have taken all this stuff ........ so you can image what "normal" non photographers think - even our friends who join us

we get 23kgs each on Virgin plus 10kg hand - plus I usually fill my pockets with 8kg
we have to take an internal flight so that goes down to 20kgs

we are always on the limit

I always sweat like a pig coming back when all our outward bound weight gets added to because of what may have been bought, so my normal 85kgs body weight shoots up to 95kg or more - it's no fun wearing 3 shirts, two pairs of trousers etc., at George Airport in the middle of their summer ......... although my Yorkshire "tightness" hates to pay for extra luggage .......I can do this no more ....... so another case has been bought from Amazon and it will be filled with ? ........ but not my "dream' to have the 600mm with me for 8 weeks ....... sadness:)

Hope you have bought your wife a bag with wheels to carry all of this!

Enjoy the trip and look forward to seeing plenty of photos

Yeah i know. I never use my 300 with anything other than the 1.4tc so i always take rhe 600 with me in the cabin with my Gitzo in the hold but its always a worry. If your confident on the 300 and 2xtc then thats a good easy solution saving you the worry but then the 600 and 2xtc might just be enough to get you that life defining shot. Lol

Life defining shot he he ya sold me Marky:D

Take the lens
insure it
one life ,and even if it is erm another marque:eek::D You have it, love photography, grafted your butt off for it.

Bill lots of smiles here Mark made me laugh and I just wanted to run with it but there is a serious side ,it's a fabulous tool you know how to use it . You ARE a bird photographer primarily. We both know that close can be got,but reach with IQ is often so damn helpful ok I'll imagine that bit but it is true. For me SA would be a pipe dream I have barely left the country so bloody hopeless on travel with this gear and TBF that consequently is not weighing heavy for me. I just see you not taking that lump is a mistake,for you as a bird tog. Mate there is alot here over my head, but although getting it there might be a right PITA I think it would be good for you and your image making
Nuff said buddy you have a blast what ever you take and it'll be cool to see the results;)

Stu

I travel to southern africa every year, each year i pack lighter than the previous but i never leave any camera kit, i take 3 bodies 1dx2 5dsr and 7d2, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 100-400, 300 2.8, and 500f4 with the 500f4 packed in the centre of my checked holdall. Camera bag is heavy but Virgin have never looked twice at it.
My kit is all insured, to be honest if you have any of the big lenses and they are not insured...........

I travel to southern africa every year, each year i pack lighter than the previous but i never leave any camera kit, i take 3 bodies 1dx2 5dsr and 7d2, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 100-400, 300 2.8, and 500f4 with the 500f4 packed in the centre of my checked holdall. Camera bag is heavy but Virgin have never looked twice at it.
My kit is all insured, to be honest if you have any of the big lenses and they are not insured...........

That what i called travelling light! :ROFLMAO:

Back