Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra mobile phone for videoing football - advice sought.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone any experience of using this phone? It seems to have been celebrated over the last year as the best camera phone around, and I'm thinking that now that the next new version - the S24 - has launched - the S23s price might drop a little.

I photograph the junior and u21 football that my two son's and their team mates play in the north East - on my Canon 90D (or 7D mk ii) - but over this vey wet winter, have found myself on the rare occasion they get a game at all - reduced to videoing on my older but still fully functioning Samsung S10+ phone and cobbling highlight videos together after the fact. The videos are ok I suppose. I just hold the phone in landscape mode, stood on the half way line and and track the ball.

So, what I need to know - is it worth the £780 investment for the new phone? Is the video functionality on the S23 Ultra THAT much better than the S10+ ? And will it make a material difference to the quality of the videos I'm outputting?

Grateful if anyone has tried it and can give me a steer.

For that money consider un upgrade to your camera for videos.

Newer mirrorless cameras can be had which will blow the phone away for that money, especially if you choose 2nd hand.

I'll let others who are more videocentric reply with further / better info and recommendations

For that money consider un upgrade to your camera for videos.

Newer mirrorless cameras can be had which will blow the phone away for that money, especially if you choose 2nd hand.

I'll let others who are more videocentric reply with further / better info and recommendations
Thanks, but I don't want to use a real camera in the extreme weather we've been getting up here. Lashing rain and very strong winds. Hence the mobile, which I'm much more willing to expose to the elements.

I would spend that £780 on a camcorder as you can zoom in and out without changing lenses and also have a smooth zoom.. I use Panasonic camcorders as I think the video quality is the best. Ideal got football games. When wet I stick it in a plastic bag with just the lens sticking out and view via the eye piece

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't want to use a real camera in the extreme weather we've been getting up here. Lashing rain and very strong winds. Hence the mobile, which I'm much more willing to expose to the elements.
Get an olympus EM1 MK whatever and it'll be fine. Best weather sealing out there on those cameras

On 'match of the day' when it rains they cover the cameras with waterproof covers, they dont put them away and use phones. If you want to get decent footage get a good waterproof cover, if it fits the 90D it will also fit the 7D.
I also film a lot of local football over here in Cumbria (another very wet area) I use either a 5D4 or a Panasonic HC video camera, i have decent waterproofs for both and never had any issues. I do treat them both with Nikwax at the start of the season which helps the water bead and roll off.
If your still concerned and not bothered about using a wide angle phone to capture the games, try a GoPro, shoot in 5k and zoom in where needed in post and render in 1080, you'll get good quality video and no worrys about rain effecting the GoPro.

I would spend that £780 on a camcorder as you can zoom in and out without changing lenses and also have a smooth zoom.. I use Panasonic camcorders as I think the video quality is the best. Ideal got football games. When wet I stick it in a plastic bag with just the lens sticking out and view via the eye piece

Does your cam do higher frame rate for slow motion.. I ahve been looking into this for football.. I want a more point and shoot which a camcorder seems ideal for but want to be able to use slow motion in the final output video

Yes it does slow motion it depends on how slow you want it to be. Of course the audio may be deleted in slow mo, something to think about. An editing site can slow i it down even more
also only records super slow on one card.

Last edited:
Back