Samyang 10mm 2.8

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Afternoon Fellow Photography Lovers,

As mentioned on other threads, I've really been thinking hard about doing some astro photography, and I've been looking at purchasing the Samyang 10mm wide angel lens to stick onto my D7100. Has anyone had any experience with this lens? Has anyone shot the milky way with it?

Just trying to get some feedback before taking the plunge.

Tim

I've heard the samyangs are ok, but just ok, and quality control is very touch and go. The exception is the 14mm, which is awesome for astrophotography. Despite it's wierd distortion profile (easily processed out), aberrations like coma are practically non-existant. I have one and love it, i definitely wouldn't want to go wider (never thought i'd say that!).

I'm guessing dx is nikon speak for crop. I have the 14mm on a canon crop and it's plenty wide enough. Search flickr for crop 14mm samyang milky way pics, you'l see what i mean :)

I've got the samyang 14mm 2.8 on my 5dmk3 (full frame), great for astro stuff, useless for anything else..... distorts like a mo'fo!

I've just look into this lens too. Reviews seems to praised the tokina 11-16 f2.8... A bit like you I'm looking for something for Northern Light.

On a crop I'd get the 11-16mm f2.8 it's great value and is much more versatile.

What about a Canon FF? same reason, but the more I read the less obvious the choice seems.

What about a Canon FF? same reason, but the more I read the less obvious the choice seems.
FF ultra-wide is tricky if you want the best all round I'd go with the new 16-35mm f4l but that isn't cheap!

If you want a cheap ultra wide especially for astro work you can't really go wrong with the samyang 14mm f2.8. I loved mine shooting the northern lights but found it to wide for my style when taking landscapes.

Other than that the other canon L's 17-40mm f4 and the 16-35mm f2.8's are decent but not stellar in the corners, sigma have a couple of good offerings their 17-35mm f2.8-4 reviews well and they have a 12-24mm which reviews ok and is VERY wide!

If you can wait tamron gave a 15-30mm f2.8 due that will in all likely hood be very good.

Thanks for that concise summary, birthday treat probably can't be adjusted, so the Tamron 15-30 seems unlikely so I'll start rechecking the 2.8s.

I've been looking at the Samyang also. I mostly do landscape stuff but would like to dabble a little in astro. How useful is this lens for landscapes? Too much distortion? Can filters be used with it or does it have a domed front element?

Thanks,

Dan

Dunno about the 10mm but the 14mm has a domed front. There is an adapter for lee atyle filters but not really looked at it. The distortion is wierd, but there are profiles that correct it almost perfectly.

I've got the samyang 14mm 2.8 on my 5dmk3 (full frame), great for astro stuff, useless for anything else..... distorts like a mo'fo!
Useless at everything else?? Hardly!

It's the best UWA I've ever used! Great for all sorts.

The distortion is easily fixed in LR with a Single click.

Dunno about the 10mm but the 14mm has a domed front. There is an adapter for lee atyle filters but not really looked at it. The distortion is wierd, but there are profiles that correct it almost perfectly.
In fact, new 14mm lenses are bundled with the filter holder free at the moment.

Back