Samyang 12mm and Fuji XE-1 Distortion Issue

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, I've got my 12mm Samyang and a nice XE-1 to use as dedicated body. I have set the focus to Manual, set the 'Shoot without a Lens' to 'ON', Set the 'Mount Adapter Setting' to 'Lens 5' and input 12mm. And the lens works fine. The issue I am having is that the lens does exhibit a small amount of barrel distortion and I can see from the camera menu that under the 'Mount Adapter Setting Lens 5' there is the option 'Distortion Correction' - but this is not accessible. So, my question is that:- is there any way to correct barrel distortion in-camera?

Thanks in advance for any input

Don't think so. I have a feeling that Fuji's firmware deals with their own lenses' distortions automatically but with no connections to the Samyang lens, it doesn't know what it's playing with so can't make the necessary adjustments. Probably a preset in LR or similar to deal with it.

Don't think so. I have a feeling that Fuji's firmware deals with their own lenses' distortions automatically but with no connections to the Samyang lens, it doesn't know what it's playing with so can't make the necessary adjustments. Probably a preset in LR or similar to deal with it.

There is, you can use the Zeiss preset in the lens correction menu in LR to do it. I've simply renamed it and put it with my user presets.

Have you tried checking wether the lens profile is in lightroom... if you use lightroom. EDIT. AS ABOVE.

Sorry, I am a bit lacking in the software department - I have only Elements. So I assume it is a no-can-do then??

Sorry, I am a bit lacking in the software department - I have only Elements. So I assume it is a no-can-do then??
I'm pretty sure you can correct it in Elements (though you may have to do it manually?). Check YouTube for tutorials.

This is an inherent issue with smaller format cameras with demanding lenses - they rely a lot of in cam software correction so using a non reporting lens can cause these sorts of issues.

Last edited:
I've been trying many options and just downloaded the latest version of Gimp - this does have a lens correction feature which seems to work quite well. So for those who haven't got Photoshop, Lightroom or indeed a late copy of Elements, this is a viable alternative.

Thanks for your help though guys

Back