Samyang 14mm

Distortion is crazy but there is LR preset you can download from Adobe.

Sharpness is good, but it can go pretty bad over time for no reason.

In my view 16-35mm latest zooms negate the need for one.

As Daguirdas says, distortions are odd! There are alternatives if you're happy going 2nd hand and waiting for them to crop up - I was lucky and found a Tamron 14 f/2.8 when I was after a fast ultra wide. AF and auto aperture (Nikon Samyangs are AA but MF.) 2mm at the wide end might make an appreciable difference.

Distortion is crazy but there is LR preset you can download from Adobe.

Sharpness is good, but it can go pretty bad over time for no reason.

In my view 16-35mm latest zooms negate the need for one.

Thanks for the info. The 16-35 would be my first choice but i can't quite afford it.

As Daguirdas says, distortions are odd! There are alternatives if you're happy going 2nd hand and waiting for them to crop up - I was lucky and found a Tamron 14 f/2.8 when I was after a fast ultra wide. AF and auto aperture (Nikon Samyangs are AA but MF.) 2mm at the wide end might make an appreciable difference.

Thanks matey. AF doesn't really concern me atm. It would primarily be used on a tripod.

I love mine. It is surprisingly well made for the cost and I think the best endorsement of the Samyang 14mm would be a lens search on Flickr. There are some stunning images taken with this lens, as you'd see. I used to have the Samyang 8mm too, but had to sell it when I went full frame. Definitely recommend the 14mm though :)

I have a Samyang and I don't think it can even take a screw on filter, let along a Lee system. I bought mine to use for astro-photography, not as a landscapes lens, and I'm very very happy with it.

There are plenty of systems available.

I have the lens now, quite happy with it although i haven't tried it properly for the purpose i bought it for. I got it for £138 from Amazon during the sales last weekend. Will opt for the Cokin filter system for the time being i think as it's the cheapest. But i may go with the WonderPana as they do a CPL although i need to do a little more research first.

Cheers.

I got one a few weeks ago for night photography but I've also used it a little for landscapes. The distortion doesn't matter unless you require a straight horizon. It is VERY sharp and nice and light. It's excellent for the sky as it has a hard stop for infinity so you don't even need to worry about focusing. The only worry is the bulbous element which you get very paranoid about if carrying it around without the lens cap on, but that's the same with lots of wide lenses.

I got it from Park Cameras and it came with a Cokin filter holder and a 3-stop filter, which I wasn't even expecting. This is massive however so I doubt I'll use it much, I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

All in all, a great lens for the money.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reggaethecat/26217581995/

Last edited:
The 14mm is one of those lenses that is irreplaceable, in my opinion. This shot of the tiny St Pancras Church in Exeter is a good example of why I carry the 14mm: a 20mm would be too long to get the church in context but the 14mm has room to spare...

25635565803_501d4e4b62_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've been eyeing up the 14mm Samyang for months, its almost certainly going to be my next purchase. The photos people get with it are stunning, and its pretty sharp on an APS-C too.

Back