Sand Martin

JPL

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Part of an ongoing project to get a good close up shot of one arriving at the nest hole. So far a few near and plenty of far misses. However there is always next year.

sm.jpg

sm2.jpg

Hi JPL a couple of nice shots but maybe a slight tone down will make them stand out a bit more

sm.jpg

Thanks Dangermouse for the comment, the edit looks a tad dark on my monitor (but then that is my monitor which is quite old fairly dull and not the sharpest of things around) I would be interested to hear what others think as I have looked at a few images here and thought that they look a bit dull. If the general consensus is that your edit is about right then I will take that into account when processing in the future. Again thanks for pointing that out.

Both good captures and I like the adjustment Peter has done with the first one, which looks fine on my screen.

Nice to see a lesser photographed bird instead of the boring old usual suspects everybody and their dog seems to post. Also refreshing to see a bit of effort being put in to getting the shot and not just a lens stuck out of a window at a feeder in the garden. So 10/10 from me fella.(y)(y)(y)

Nice to see a lesser photographed bird instead of the boring old usual suspects everybody and their dog seems to post. Also refreshing to see a bit of effort being put in to getting the shot and not just a lens stuck out of a window at a feeder in the garden. So 10/10 from me fella.(y)(y)(y)

Think thats a bit unfair Brash to say the boring old usual suspects that everybody posts, many people can not get to many places so enjoy photography common garden birds I for one can get about,but I love to see common birds and enjoy watching and photographying them, by saying that it could put people off posting some good shots

Great shots of the Sand Martin (y) I aint got none of those in my garden so it looks like I am stuck wiv me Robin :D
Your not planning on getting any closer are you? :thinking:

Lovely. I'd say they were pretty much top shots

done a wee bit of thread cleaning guys, stop arguing, I've got better things to do :)

That comment actually seems a bit uncalled for imo Brash. Obviously you gave it no thought to the circumstances that some people might be in. There are those that just might for example have a disability and are confined to their garden or house, we all have our different reasons for what we photograph. After viewing some of your subjects you have posted in the past it seems you are no different from the rest of us :shrug: but surely the comment should be the subject itself, not to bring other peoples work into the equation.Those kind of remarks only serve to discourage new people into this wonderfull hobby. But as you pointed out to all it seems you just dont care anyway ;)

Last edited:
done a wee bit of thread cleaning guys, stop arguing, I've got better things to do :)

Freedom of speach. I love it;)

That comment actually seems a bit uncalled for imo Brash. Obviously you gave it no thought to the circumstances that some people might be in. There are those that just might for example have a disability and are confined to their garden or house, we all have our different reasons for what we photograph. After viewing some of your subjects you have posted in the past it seems you are no different from the rest of us :shrug: but surely the comment should be the subject itself, not to bring other peoples work into the equation.Those kind of remarks only serve to discourage new people into this wonderfull hobby. But as you pointed out to all it seems you just dont care anyway ;)

I did consider all the points you made. I myself have a life threatening disability/condition so don't preach to me about such things. I know as good as anybody how restrictive these things can be.

If I have an opinion on something, I'll say so, it tends to be what Forums are for. Some may not like it but life's not a popularity contest.

You seem to miss the fact I was pretty complimentary about JPL's pics and stand by my original comments.

I did consider all the points you made. I myself have a life threatening disability/condition so don't preach to me about such things. I know as good as anybody how restrictive these things can be.

If I have an opinion on something, I'll say so, it tends to be what Forums are for. Some may not like it but life's not a popularity contest.

You seem to miss the fact I was pretty complimentary about JPL's pics and stand by my original comments.

Sorry to hear that Brian, and for the record I for one dont preach ;) we are as you put it all entitled to an opinion. Before reading this reply from you I read your reply to your 24hr ban with interest, call me a nosey git if you wish ;). Like yourself I spoke as I found and didnt give a toss about anyone.

It wasnt untill splitting up after 21yrs of marriage that my attitude changed for the better, but then came the alcohol and drugs, again the attitude returned. Now I just rise above it all, but occasionaly somebody lights the blue touch paper :thinking: So yeh I read your post and wondered if there was an underlying issue :shrug: But what do I know? I aint no preacher, I aint no saint. I just could not get my head around the fact that somebody like yourself, that has a talent with photography and no doubt music judging by your profile,would post such an opinion in somebodys thread, why not start a rant of your own in the OOF section? (y) Feel free to have the last word, but it would be cool to put this behind us and get on with taking photo`s, before we both get sent to the vaults of TP :LOL:

Sorry to hear that Brian, and for the record I for one dont preach ;) we are as you put it all entitled to an opinion. Before reading this reply from you I read your reply to your 24hr ban with interest, call me a nosey git if you wish ;). Like yourself I spoke as I found and didnt give a toss about anyone.

It wasnt untill splitting up after 21yrs of marriage that my attitude changed for the better, but then came the alcohol and drugs, again the attitude returned. Now I just rise above it all, but occasionaly somebody lights the blue touch paper :thinking: So yeh I read your post and wondered if there was an underlying issue :shrug: But what do I know? I aint no preacher, I aint no saint. I just could not get my head around the fact that somebody like yourself, that has a talent with photography and no doubt music judging by your profile,would post such an opinion in somebodys thread, why not start a rant of your own in the OOF section? (y) Feel free to have the last word, but it would be cool to put this behind us and get on with taking photo`s, before we both get sent to the vaults of TP :LOL:

Just wanted to make the point that I appreciated the fact the guy put a bit of effort into getting his shots as apposed to posting, what in my opinion, are boring shots of birds on feeders. Regardless of how technically good they are they just bore me. You'll find I very rarely comment on garden bird shots because I rarely have anything constructive to say, so I don't.

I have no other issues, don't drink or take drugs any more but do speak my mind and yeh, it got me banned and will likely do so again but hey ho, I ain't gonna change. I am what I am and am happy with what I am.

Cheers Brash!!!!

Beautiful shots, the first ones look fine on my screen, my laptop anyway. :)

Its a shame some people see more common species as "boring" and samey, especially when these animals are so difficult to capture well with their skittish nature and fast reactions. Personally, I appreciate everyones efforts.

Just wanted to make the point that I appreciated the fact the guy put a bit of effort into getting his shots as apposed to posting, what in my opinion, are boring shots of birds on feeders. Regardless of how technically good they are they just bore me. You'll find I very rarely comment on garden bird shots because I rarely have anything constructive to say, so I don't.

I have no other issues, don't drink or take drugs any more but do speak my mind and yeh, it got me banned and will likely do so again but hey ho, I ain't gonna change. I am what I am and am happy with what I am.

Cheers Brash!!!!

I agree Brian the OP did make an effort. And I am all for people getting their point across, but that can quite easily be done without attitude. Where I live is surrounded by a wooded copse (not a conservatory in sight) :D On my missions for the Kingfisher I have sat down and watched as loads of Ltt`s, Blue Tits, and Great Tits fly around the Hazle branches in search of food, quite easy to take a picture if you ask me, and if I posted it up you would not know from jack if I had taken it in my garden or anywhere else. Imo getting them out into the open in my garden where I want them is just as challenging. Yes we all agree that feeder shots are not ideal, but then it is a starting point for those that are learning or for those that do not have a choice. I could quite easily condone, although I have no problems with.

Going to reserves and using hides.
Going to BOP centres.
Going to Zoo`s instead of getting animals in their natural environment :shrug:
the list could go on. Well Brian, in the knowledge that you are happy with your lot in life I wish you all the best (y)

lifeislike.gif

Last edited:
Back