Sandisk Extreme 4gb CF cards

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
morning all

just wondering if anyone can recommend a place to buy these cards from at a good price (sub £20?) and that are in stock?

looking for a couple for my new D700 (yay!)

would prefer to go for this type of card & size, rather than a 3rd party/unbranded one :)

best I can find so far is £21.99 delivered

To me that looks like a good price for that card.

As far as i am aware, it only effects people who use high FPS. Basically, if your buffer in the camera is full, a faster card will empty it faster, thats all. Card speed also effects the transfer from card to computer, depending on the transfer method used.

I think thats right! ;)

Hi is concert phoyogrqphŷ really fast paced? I mean compared to the sports photogs who rattle the motor drives non stop taking 10,000 pics a day?

You might be better off with a sandisk ultra 8GB, £20.99 delivered from 7dayshop, plus extra memory means you won't be missing pictures while changing your card.

S

I can also vouch for the Sandisk Ultra cards, I have one and it's just amazing!

Downside was I paid £30 for it at Jessops so not exactly a bargain but the card is just perfect for my needs and while I don't do subjects that require high FPS I do shoot a lot that my old Jessops CF card couldn't handle (y)

I have about 5 of these - work well for me and my D300/D700

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Ultra-30MBS-Compact-Flash/dp/B0007QU74Q/ref=pd_cp_computers_2

30MBS Still and half the price (8GB for 4GB)
I have never shot more than about 10 images in high speed mode - but it has never been an issue.

I bought 3 of these, and 1 came with my camera. Not had the chance to use them properly yet, but i can't see there being any problems.

I got them from 7DS too, but when i got them they were £19.99. They've gone up by £1 :bonk:

Does anyone know is there a big difference between the Ultra and extreme sandisk CF cards? I mainly do weddings, and have just ordered D700.

Vicky, as far as i know, the new ultra's (30MB/s) are the same as the old extreme cards...The new extreme cards are faster, but i doubt you'd need the speed for doing weddings.....

Hi is concert phoyogrqphŷ really fast paced? I mean compared to the sports photogs who rattle the motor drives non stop taking 10,000 pics a day?

You might be better off with a sandisk ultra 8GB, £20.99 delivered from 7dayshop, plus extra memory means you won't be missing pictures while changing your card.

S

i might be misunderstanding what is meant by 'fast' :D

concert photography requires (well, it does for me!) to shoot a number of frames in quick succession... for example if a singer is holding a photogenic pose, it helps to be able to rattle off a number of shots, primarily to try and get one with their eyes open!

because the nature of the photography is unpredicatable and over so quickly, I think 'fast' (whatever that means!) shooting is necessary.

also I'd prefer to keep to 4gb cards rather than 8gb, so I can spread shots over more than card (especially for longer assignments), purely as a backup. would rather not have an 8gb corrupt on me and lose everything, and to have all photos spread over 2 cards and hopefully still have one of those in tact :)

Last edited:
i might be misunderstanding what is meant by 'fast' :D

concert photography requires (well, it does for me!) to shoot a number of frames in quick succession... for example if a singer is holding a photogenic pose, it helps to be able to rattle off a number of shots, primarily to try and get one with their eyes open!

because the nature of the photography is unpredicatable and over so quickly, I think 'fast' (whatever that means!) shooting is necessary.

The speed of CF card will impact in three areas.
1) Transferring files to your PC
2) Reviewing images already saved on CF on your camera (only an issue with very slow CF cards)
3) Saving data to the CF from the buffer.

When you take a picture, it is saved first to an internal buffer, then transferred from there to the CF card.
According to the D700 specs from the online brochure, if shooting RAW, uncompressed 14 bit, the buffer can hold 17 shots - this means you can take 17 shots in a burst with even the slowest CF cards before it slows (if shooting JPEG this goes up to 100!).

If you are shooting in bursts of say 8-10, taking a pause for a few seconds, then another short burst, etc, then the buffer will have time to empty to the CF between bursts, and will keep going until you fill the card.

In that case, 30 mb/s should be fine.

If you are shooting burst of more than 17, then you'll want the fastest cards you can afford!

The speed of CF card will impact in three areas.
1) Transferring files to your PC
2) Reviewing images already saved on CF on your camera (only an issue with very slow CF cards)
3) Saving data to the CF from the buffer.

When you take a picture, it is saved first to an internal buffer, then transferred from there to the CF card.
According to the D700 specs from the online brochure, if shooting RAW, uncompressed 14 bit, the buffer can hold 17 shots - this means you can take 17 shots in a burst with even the slowest CF cards before it slows (if shooting JPEG this goes up to 100!).

If you are shooting in bursts of say 8-10, taking a pause for a few seconds, then another short burst, etc, then the buffer will have time to empty to the CF between bursts, and will keep going until you fill the card.

In that case, 30 mb/s should be fine.

If you are shooting burst of more than 17, then you'll want the fastest cards you can afford!

Jonathan... perfect! thank you!
so I think the Ultra 30mb/s will be just right for what I would need :)

Just a point that most usb card readers only achieve about 22mbps speed so you won't benefit that much using standard equipment in transferring to pc.

Last edited:
Back