Sandisk Extreme IV (4) (IIII) CF Card

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I lost one of my 2gb Extreme III card's last week and now that I have the 5D was thinking of a new 4GB card.
I notice the extreme IV is now available, apart from speed (and the III should be fast enough for my 5D) is there any great advantage over buying the III?

Personally I'd say no. I'm using a mix of cards from 40X to 133X and in use don't really see the difference on the 1D. Not sure how big the buffer is on the 5D but if you're only taking one or two shots at the time you probably wont see the benefit.

On the other hand it won't do any harm having quicker cards.

On the other hand it won't do any harm having quicker cards.

Do you mean to "future proof" myself? As current cards write faster than the cameras can my understanding is that spare speed is redundant. Or am I wrong?

Do you mean to "future proof" myself? As current cards write faster than the cameras can my understanding is that spare speed is redundant. Or am I wrong?

That's how I understand it too so if I was buying quicker cards it would be just in case there's a body change in the future. Last one I bought quite recently was a 40x as I thought it was the best value for cost/performance.

In fact, come to think of it, I never had an issue with card speed on the 20D and I was using a Lexar 8X at the motocross sometimes as well :shrug:

2 things are future proof.

Death and Taxes.

Right, I have decided. Anyone know where I will get the cheapest 4gb Extreme III cards?

Warehouse Express? I only say that because you at least know they're genuine cards.
There were dramas recently with 'fake' cards being sold - right size but slower write-speeds - people were passing off 25x write-speed cards as faster models.

:eek: Fake Cards! Which retailers were involved in this? Or was that eBay sellers ? I have bought from www.photo-scotland.co.uk in the past but see they are not the cheapest this time. Might be worth sticking with them for the security/assurance. They are nice to deal with and have taken returned cards in the past (which I know some retailers do not like doing).

Ask Kerso... The transfer speeds are great on the Ex4 Cards - I have an 8GB and a 4GB :) About x2 faster than my Ex3 Cards...

It was 'just' eBayers - look hard at the box it comes in - there should be a hologram on there somewhere - the fake ones were in boxes that looked identical apart from the hologram.

I got an ex3 from tik tak IT a while back, cheapest around at the time - and I got a free pen! woo!

I'm not sure about ex4 just yet, ok so its better than ex3 but do current cameras really utilize the speeds possible?

I bought some 1 gig Ultra II's from ebay before the whole fake issue came to light. Seeing this thread has made me double check what I have and it appears one of them is a fake. Always suspected but never got round to doing anything about it.

Surest way to check was to fill the buffer and check the time it took to clear. The fake took twice as long as the real cards.

Oh well :(

Back