Sandisk USB not recognised by Mac

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Okay so I have a Sandisk 8GB USB memory stick for transferring coursework images between home and the shops to get them printed quickly. That is its sole use and normally only ever has about 10 images on before they are printed and the USB is cleared. It is about 1 month old from Amazon and today I plugged it into my iMac (the device I have always used it on) and it flashed up that it was unable to be recognised. I tried other USB sticks in the same USB port so its not a fault on the Mac. Anyone know any solutions or had the same problems. I'm sure it must be simple because neither the iMac or the memory stick are over 2 months old.

Thanks in advance

Try blowing it with an air blower just incase there's some dust in it, do the same to the USB port too.

If that doesn't work try the other ports. And also check if you can see it in disk utility, If you can try restarting the mac without the USB stick in it.

I sometimes have an issue with my MacBook where if I boot with a memory stick/memory card reader in it won't read it till I restart it.

It sounds like a dud.

Try it in another computer. If it fails - it's a dud.

I will try the rocket blower when I get back from work later and hope that works if not it would be annoying, think it was about £6 so would have to get another.

Tried the rocket blower to no avail. Also tried different computers and still no luck. Would amazon take it back without the packaging as a complaint or do I have to just bite my lip and forget about it?

It hasn't been reformatted recently has it? If it was formatted in Windows to NTFS format then the Mac wouldn't be able to read it.

Does the iMac recognise it in the Disk Tools utility (can't remember the exact name, but the utility where you can do repairs, formatting, partitioning, etc) - would help to know if it is recognised within that.

David

The USB hasn't been reformatted or anything since the last time it was working correctly. It doesn't appear under disk utility either.

Ah, in that case i'd try it in another PC if you can (just to confirm it's broken) and send it back. Can't imagine Amazon will quibble, they'll just replace it. Though will often take companies weeks to replace things, so probably worth getting a second backup in the meantime anyway.

David

Okay, I will get on to them tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Amazon are about the best company to deal with for returns etc so you shouldnt have an issue.

scuby said:
It hasn't been reformatted recently has it? If it was formatted in Windows to NTFS format then the Mac wouldn't be able to read it.

David

Mac's will recognise NTFS formatted drives and sticks, They can't normally write to them without additional software.. Most USB sticks are FAT 32 formatted so no problem either way.. Sounds to me as if the controller In the stick has failed hence the reason it's not being recognised.

Does the USB stick have any indication that it's alive. Do you have any lights on ?

It does sound as though the stick has failed. However a trial on another computer as suggested seems a good option.

Sorry to take a while to respond. There was no lights on the stick as it was the very small SanDisk ones which I thought would be rugged, maybe I had a dodgy one. I contacted the seller I bought it from through Amazon which was MyMemory Ltd. and they said the best thing to do would be to fill in a returns form and post it back to them freepost. So I did that today and hopefully I will get a replacement. Thanks for all the advice and help

Whereabouts in the mac are you plugging it?

Make sure its plugged directly into the back of the mac. It needs a powered USB port most likely (My Sandisk 8GB Cruzer does). Won't work otherwise.

Whereabouts in the mac are you plugging it?

It was being plugged in directly to the back because I have the wireless keyboard which doesn't have the USB port and I don't have an external USB hub either. Sent the company a message saying the stick had been sent off to them but don't expect to hear back until after the weekend.

Back