Sands of Time - Still Life

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Yep - you guessed it - another picture with Skulls in it...

My Last month's POTY Entry, another Vanitas style still-life, though in this case, I decided to go for a slightly less "painterly" PP treatment - not exactly SOOC, there's one or two tweaks, but certainly less layering than the last shot in this style.

anyway - here goes...

The Sands of Time

Sands of Time by The Big Yin, on Flickr

The sands of time have run out for most of these items - Fob Watches - Italian Lira, Yugoslavian coins - Hourglasses - Candles - Books and Even Globes... All have newer alternatives or replacements.

Of course Eddie's seen better days, as has his Rose, and we could always throw away the pince-nez and get laser eye surgery.

All we have to do is swap our Keys for PIN numbers, and a pair of Dice for a computerised random number generator and we could throw this all away.

But I don't think I'll be doing that, any time soon...

As always, critique welcomed, any questions, I'll do my best to answer* :)

* as long as the question is not regarding which of our former members is the centrepiece of the shot :LOL:

Last edited:
Very nice (y) and your detailed description of the photo only helps to further my liking of this art work (y) even if it is another not so subtle advertising for POTY :naughty: well well done you've snared me, I'm going to chuck my hat into POTY 2012 (y)

Matt

Hey - it might be very thinly veiled advertising for the POTY, but the thing is, it's impossible to get any feedback about your shot on the forum until after the shot's been in the competition, and been voted on. Sadly, since the demise of my best mate, I've no other way of getting full and thorough feedback and tips on improving my shots other than posting on TP - and as most of my shots this year have been a bit "off the wall" they've not had an outlet until recently...

Hey - it might be very thinly veiled advertising for the POTY, but the thing is, it's impossible to get any feedback about your shot on the forum until after the shot's been in the competition, and been voted on. Sadly, since the demise of my best mate, I've no other way of getting full and thorough feedback and tips on improving my shots other than posting on TP - and as most of my shots this year have been a bit "off the wall" they've not had an outlet until recently...

(y) I don't think any feedback as to improvement is needed on this one (y) as I cannot really think of any improvement that I would make other than maybe I would have had the watch open :thinking:

Ive liked that shot every time Ive seen it, :clap: love everything about it bar the new coins not quite in keeping to the rest of the old Dutch masters painting, but fabulous shot and light meticulously, thought out :clap:

Edit and now Matt said it yeah would look good with the watch open

Last edited:
I really need to get a decent fob-watch for these shots - sadly it's not a hunter case watch - that's the back of the watch - it's actually just a cheap brass cased plated watch, and the actual face of the watch is gopping :puke:

Point taken on the coins - I really aught to have dug out some old copper coins, I know I've got some somewhere - but for the purposes of the competition brief - "Past It", I just wanted to use something that was obviously in good nick, but of no current use.

I've got a few more ideas for shots a little closer to the original Dutch school pictures, which I really aught to get my harris in gear, and shoot to be honest - might even give me something for Decembers comp. as I'm totally stuck for any other inspiration :(

I love these Mark, so I hope you do get the motivation to do another one
for December. As much as I'm enjoying the images, I also love the story and thought that goes into the placement of props in each one.

Not much I can add in the way of critique as there really isn't anything that I'd change or tweak. An open watch would be the icing on the cake but it's far too late now to claim that as my own idea :LOL:

Cheers Sarah - I've got a couple of ideas as I say, been doing a little research, and there's a Pieter Claesz shot I've got bookmarked for a little "inspiration" - just need to get my hands on a 17th Century Viola and a contemporary timepiece and I'll be away...:thinking:

just need to get my hands on a 17th Century Viola and a contemporary timepiece and I'll be away...:thinking:

Very nicely compiled shot Mark :clap: - no improvement needed IMHO.

...oh! Ive got a Gibson Stradivarius somewhere in the loft collecting dust if that's any good to you...:D

Very nicely compiled shot Mark :clap: - no improvement needed IMHO.

...oh! Ive got a Gibson Stradivarius somewhere in the loft collecting dust if that's any good to you...:D

Thanks for the kind comments, though there's always room for improvement...

didn't know Gibson made Violins, tbh, Ive had a couple of their rather nice guitars in the past, but never a violin :LOL:

I did come awfully close to falling for an instrument on fleabay though - but was worried it would be all looks and no tone... was an auction sale version of this one - and once it went over £150 i didn't fancy taking the risk ;) Plus, it's been probably 30+ years since I tried wringing a tune out of a fiddle :LOL:

Thanks for the kind comments, though there's always room for improvement...

didn't know Gibson made Violins, tbh, Ive had a couple of their rather nice guitars in the past, but never a violin :LOL:

I did come awfully close to falling for an instrument on fleabay though - but was worried it would be all looks and no tone... was an auction sale version of this one - and once it went over £150 i didn't fancy taking the risk ;) Plus, it's been probably 30+ years since I tried wringing a tune out of a fiddle :LOL:

:LOL: "Gibson" was his christian name. Sebastian is nice violin but only a copy, :nono: gotta have the real thing.

You should start playing again, you might suprise yourself. :)

Graham

You should start playing again, you might suprise yourself. :)

Graham

I may surprise myself, but I'm sure I'd horrify my neighbours... especially the lady to my left - who was a peripatetic music teacher prior to her retirement. :LOL:

I may surprise myself, but I'm sure I'd horrify my neighbours... especially the lady to my left - who was a peripatetic music teacher prior to her retirement. :LOL:

Its Christmas you're aloud to make abit of noise this time of year, and/or send them earplugs as a chrissy pressie :LOL:
anyway what are you waiting for, the perfect teacher on your door step.

she's been next door neighbour all my life - poor old dear already taught me Piano and Cello - not to mention putting up with my Guitar/Bass playing over the intervening years - frankly I think she deserves a rest :LOL:

she's been next door neighbour all my life - poor old dear already taught me Piano and Cello - not to mention putting up with my Guitar/Bass playing over the intervening years - frankly I think she deserves a rest :LOL:

Wow! you're probably right

I made the table and walls, alreaady had the keys, pocketwatch and the old books, and all the rest came from fleabay - well apart from the skull, but (tap's nose) you ain't heard nuthin' about that one... 'kay :LOL:

Back