Santa Pod Summer Nationals...qualifying day

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Scorchio weather and a new track made for an exciting day and some seriously fast cars and bikes....

Ven...what can you say.....215 mph on a treaded tyre....

Summernats-23 by Mark P, on Flickr

Andy Robinson.....quickest and fastest Doorslammer

Summernats-20 by Mark P, on Flickr

Love what Andy Bond has done with this car and delighted to see it back out after the wall interface last year

Summernats-22 by Mark P, on Flickr

More on Flickr

We have very similar shots Mark..and therefore similar sunburn :(

We have very similar shots Mark..and therefore similar sunburn :(

You aint kidding, my legs are seriously red......

I love the Summer Nats, the big fuel crowds just annoy me, and the non fuel teams get messed about and dont have the time to chat like they do at this meet.

That and £20 entry with free grandstand seats makes it a must do for me tbh.....

I was amazed how quiet it was ( not that I'm complaining ). I really suffered with my shots - so may OOF that I got peed off and wondered why I went to the d500 from m43. Maybe it's the glass ( I only have a 70-300 af-p ) but it didn't help being so bright and wanting 1/50-1/60 so a CPL is never going to cut it

Couple of things for me....sitting in the seats on the other side means I cant get a decent/proper swing so my panning suffers, big time.....

I always get better stuff off the banking, but I did have a lot of dross. Practice is key, this was my first visit this year....I generally use 1/160 or 1/200 for panning subject to class, but as you say, the harsh light made things tricky.....

For the record, in previous years, Id always use a 70-300 VR, but now I use a 70-200 2.8 which seems fine.....

Luke Robinson seems happy enough with my pics of the Camaro tho... :)

Luke's a great guy, always very gracious I've found.

My problem is my desire to shoot at silly low SS. Therefore, my keeper rate is probably 30% - shooting at 110-135mm is always going to mean issues at 1/50-1/60s.

I never learn ...

Luke's a great guy, always very gracious I've found.

My problem is my desire to shoot at silly low SS. Therefore, my keeper rate is probably 30% - shooting at 110-135mm is always going to mean issues at 1/50-1/60s.

I never learn ...

I know what you mean, but I know my limitations.......1/160 pretty much....

I do love the 1/60 type stuff, but the keeper rate just makes it not worthwhile IME.....

This may be a daft question as it's literally something I've just though of but ..... could you pop an ND filter on to easier allow for the slower shutter speeds when its so bright?

As I said probably a dumb question/suggestion.

Great photos by the way. I really need to broaden my horizons and go to something like this one day.

This may be a daft question as it's literally something I've just though of but ..... could you pop an ND filter on to easier allow for the slower shutter speeds when its so bright?

As I said probably a dumb question/suggestion.

Great photos by the way. I really need to broaden my horizons and go to something like this one day.

I regularly use a 4 stop ND filter for that very purpose :)

Back