Santa Pod

Name
Peter Rushworth
Edit My Images
No
http://www.santapod.co.uk/e_festival_power.php

Anyone been to Santa Pod, heading there on Monday for the power festival, will be my first visit, what's it like for photography and do we have to be in the grandstands or are there places to get close to the action without a grandstand seat. Any help will be appreciated.

Going up tomorrow.

Forget the grandstands unless you just want to watch, 'they' get quite anal when it's a big / busy event about standing up to take photo's and trust me the seats are so tight together that you don't want to start swinging a lens around. One of the better areas I found is at the top of the banking BUT be prepared for other people who don't care what your doing to stand up in front of you, don't be put off - with a bit of deep breathing and lots of counting to ten you can still get some great shots - these are a few years ago with the Sony a700

FIA%20Santa%20Pod%2030-05-10%20-%200385-L.jpg

FIA%20Santa%20Pod%2030-05-10%20-%200355-L.jpg

Take as long a lens as you can for track work (means you can get a little further away from the crowds) but also take a wider lens for the static shots as there will be some jaw dropping motors there

FIA%20Santa%20Pod%2030-05-10%20-%200077-L.jpg

FIA%20Santa%20Pod%2030-05-10%20-%200215-L.jpg

FIA%20Santa%20Pod%2030-05-10%20-%200079-L.jpg

Lets just cross everything for dry weather, don't care about the cold etc but not much track action if it's wet. Have fun

.DAVID.

Thanks David, we're going with friends on Monday and someone they know is racing, so should be a good experience and day out with a bit of photography thrown in :D

mate - seriously. . . . . . go into your wardrobe and take out every warm bit of clothing you own and put it on 'all of it' Cory and I almost froze to death stood on the bank and trying to take photo's of 200mph+ cars whilst shaking uncontrollably was 'amusing' to say the least - it's only because of the image stabilising in the lens that I came away with any at all.

Oh and if you have to park in the 'day park' take either a monster truck or get there REALLY early so your near the exit / road, you have seen photo's of swamps and quicksand. . . . . . not even close lol.

.DAVID.

I've been to The Pod loads of times, definitely recommend warm clothing and ear protectors - if you've never seen Top Fuel dragsters before, you're in for a real treat.

The pits are great for getting up close to the action too.

I hope you have a great time and fingers crossed that it stays dry.

Back