Santa's here!

Shame you clipped the bottom of the Sleigh - love the dof field though

Les(y)

Lez325 said:
Shame you clipped the bottom of the Sleigh - love the dof field though

Les(y)

Yeah....but that was sort of on purpose because I had it elevated on a box and was trying to keep that out of shot, but also as you can probably see from the front part, the underneath of the sleigh is not particularly attractive....one of the reasons also I was going for shallow DoF with focus in santa's face

Cheers for the comment

I personally would have placed the sleigh on white tissue to simulate snow

just a thought- love the bokeh on the lights by the way (y)

Les

Lez325 said:
I personally would have placed the sleigh on white tissue to simulate snow

just a thought- love the bokeh on the lights by the way (y)

Les

That's a great idea....I need to rummage in the recycling bin after throwing the present wrappings away!

Been re-taking this shot before packing up the tree and decorations. I was mainly sorting out the shot in terms o composition and avoiding cropping the subject, but I also took opportunity to try it with my new 35mm prime lens.

Once iI've had chance to put them through Lightroom I'll post the results.

Cheers
Chris

Dof is spot on to me but as been said bottom of sleigh spoils it a little but a great try well done.

OK then, here is the short retaken, first of all with the new 35mm prime and then with the kit lens...interesting, but I find the bokeh quite nice on the kit lens which I never really expected :)

Of course the distance from lens to subject and to background is very different between the shots and this has an impact on the bokeh size as well as the aperture. Generally you would want the aperture as large as possible for larger bokeh. Both lenses were at f/5.6 - I started at f/1.8 on the 35mm and worked my way up, wide open the DoF was so shallow it was untrue and I actually found it a bit distracting

35mm prime lens

Santa Snow Globe 3 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

18-105mm kit lens

Santa Snow Globe 4 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

I also think these two show up the slightly dodgy ipad edit of the original shot! Will be uploading to Flickr direct from Lightroom from now on!

Last edited:
Back