Beginner Sat 27th Cregennan Lakes Dolgellau

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
On my way to the rallying in Dyfi Forest last saturday I went upto Cregennan lake to try my star tracker in earnist for the first time.

Found the process of processing my stacked image really difficult as the image produced by deep sky stacker was very underexposed and lacking colour.

Took me a good few hours to get it looking like these. Not sure which I prefer. I think the less blue one, as it brings out the yellows of the core and looks more "night" than the overly blue one, but i've had contrasting opinions from people... Even the dark one was blended with the blue one to try and find a nice balance.

Shot with a Move Shoot Move, Canon R5 and Laowa 12mm F2.8. Sky was 2.5 minutes F2.8 at ISO1600 10 stacked images and 3 dark frames. Foreground was 5 minutes at the same settings I think.

Final V2 Blended with earlier version
Stack V2.jpg

V1 more blue and more light polution that had to be toned down
stack V1.jpg

Lovely, No1 is my favourite, excellent :)

First image. The second has that patch of dark in the centre below the milky way which stands out a bit imo.

And also, too blue a sky isn't natural either imo so editing is a tough call especially when we all have different styles & tastes!

And also again, always better to overexpose a little anyway but I guess at f/2.8 you are a touch limited.

Thanks - I was blending to try and dull down the light pollution - maybe a bit too obvious re the dark section

Sky - agree with you there but my friend took the opposite view!

Over exposure - exposure seemed fine in terms of pre processes and post - does it look under exposed to you?

I very rarely edit light pollution in so honesty but try adding some blue rather than darkening.

Exposure looks about right to me, but I was referring to actually in capture. Usually best to go over and darken the sky than under and brighten the MW.

Reactions: A_S
Back