Sat Nav - Under £100

To be honest all Sat navs are good, its just the person using them, some people struggle with the menu's.

Thebest thing to do is to go to halfrauds, or a motor spares company and ask to test them. Once you have found one you liked -walk out saying you didnt like any of them. Google the product and look on the web for the cheapest price, I tend to avoid Ebay also but thats my personal reference.

you can get some as low as £60 on websites such as ebuyer.com

for those bargains make sure you keep an eye on HUKD - http://www.hotukdeals.com/ - do a little search for satnav to see whats come on the market recently and what people think of them.

Personally I use Satnav on my phone, saves space on my crowded dashboard.

My bro heavily recommends the Garmin's - he used to have to demo them when working for motorworld.

hope that's of some use.

Cheers Micheal for the help.

OS maps are not cheap so I just buy the ones I need for the forests I go rallying in but Sat Nav would be hand for getting close by with out having to work out a route myself or do a route planner online.

Also sat nav will be handy for finding petrol stations etc when in unfamliar places.

I didn't realise they had come down in price so much.

I currently have a tom tom and it does the job quite well. Before that I had a garmin which cost £1k at the time :puke:

And I agree with what's been said. A sat nav is a tool and if you get lost, don't blame the sat nav. The problem will be the operator ;)

I didn't realise they had come down in price so much.

I currently have a tom tom and it does the job quite well. Before that I had a garmin which cost £1k at the time :puke:

And I agree with what's been said. A sat nav is a tool and if you get lost, don't blame the sat nav. The problem will be the operator ;)

Aye sat nav has really come down in price which is why I am considering getting one.

Think OS maps are £7 each now so by the time I have bought the ones I need to get to one rally I could have bought a decent sat nav system.

Got a road atlas to as backup.

i saw the Garmin streetpilot 530 for £99, half price at Halfords atm, it even has FREE traffic updates so you can avoid the jams.

sat nav is great, I wouldn't be without tom tom on my ipaq

but don't be fooled into thinking it's perfect, as Blue said it's a tool and it can and will get you into trouble if you let it.

satnav.jpg

I think that proves the point

the poor transporter driver was following a sat nav......pity he didn't realise that cars are a bit closer to the floor at a vehicle transporter with a Transit on the top deck.

iirc the insurance bill was hoooooge as network rail know how to charge if you strike a bridge.

do you really need a satnav ross? i say this because it would money better saved for tax/petrol/insurance once you pass your test.

i know you drive to rallys and the like but does good old OS and the road atlas not get you there easily.

ive often considered buying one but then i think about how often id actually use it and i recon i make a journey to somewhere difficult about once every few months and i can do without.

anyone noticed the eratic driving people do when following them when they;re taking orders from sat nav, they indicate and move over at the last minute, often nearly crashing into vehicles, its like this magical box on the dashboard means they can close their eyes!

do you really need a satnav ross? i say this because it would money better saved for tax/petrol/insurance once you pass your test.

i know you drive to rallys and the like but does good old OS and the road atlas not get you there easily.

ive often considered buying one but then i think about how often id actually use it and i recon i make a journey to somewhere difficult about once every few months and i can do without.

anyone noticed the eratic driving people do when following them when they;re taking orders from sat nav, they indicate and move over at the last minute, often nearly crashing into vehicles, its like this magical box on the dashboard means they can close their eyes!

Just think it would be handy to have as many a time when I have been at rallies with a mate were we have either got lost, missed a turning or been driving around looking for food or fuel for ages.

At the moment just want something simple like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131342/show_product_overview which I think maybe the best package I will find.

It's worth having one just for the speed cameras as points of interest.

As a new driver he'll be off the road with +6 points within 2 years, so advanced warning of where the Police Christmas party fund collection points are is an advantage worth having imo

Now before anybody gets in a tis and says it's condoning speeding it's not, but being stung for a couple of mph over the limit on an empty dual carriage way isn't really on :nono:

Until about nine months ago, I was a map man myself and couldn't understand why anyone would want a Sat Nav. Then, more as a toy, I bought a TomTom 720.

I still laugh at those idiots who follow the directions over cliffs, down railway lines or across fords which are more like rivers, but now I can see a real use for it.

1/ It is right 'almost all' of the time, and is very handy if you are travelling to somewhere totally unknown.
2/ It has a bluetooth hands free phone function, very nice.
3/ It is an MP3 player, and can play your music wirelessly through your car's radio (can also store lots of photos ~ something to look at whilst driving....?)
4/ Automatically tells you if you wander over the speed limit.
5/ Distance to go and arrival time (very handy if you've never done that route before).
6/ It can show you points of interest. I have mine set up to show me where there are LPG stations on route.
7/ Speed camera location alert.
8/ Traffic jam warnings.
9/ Tells you excatly where you are (handy if you breakdown somewhere).

The traffic does seem to be very handy. It can automatically update your route and sends you around accidents and jams. Also, if you go a different route to the one it tells you, it will automatically replot a new route.

As long as you don't believe everything it tells you with blind faith, it is a fantasic bit of kit. I wouldn't be without mine now and since I had it , it has been invaluable.

Save loads of money. Buy a map and stop supporting the US military.

i bought a tom tom one gb from halfords in a special deal, from £200 to £129.99, slightly out of budget but a fantastic pice of kit, comes with the carry case and traffic reciever free (hense the saving) and directs around traffic, has speed camera detection (most do nowadays anyway), i bought mine for being away at event, moving between place and hotels etc as i wont have a clue otherwise

and compared to the road angel i had before its 100% better

Back