Saturdays Sports Snaps.

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Saturday afternoon rugby.......Sheffield Tigers v Westoe windy, cold and very little action :(

LJ5K7108-2A.jpg

LJ5K7098A.jpg

LJ5K7070A.jpg

Then off over to other end of Sheffield for the evening ice hockey Premier league match between Sheffield Scimitars v Bracknell Bees.

LJ5K7309B.jpg

LJ5K7171.jpg

LJ5K7234-1.jpg

TFL Ian.

good stuff Ian (y) really liking the close up of the Ice hockey

The rugby ones don't have that zing for me ... the action is, as you say, lacking a little. I don't think that harsh sunlight would have helped either. The ones you posted a couple of weeks ago of the St Helens game have so much more energy and life in them.

However, the ice hockey ones definitely do - they're lovely images, especially the concentration in the first guy's face ... he looks like he's trying to decide where to go/what to do :)

On a little bit of a mini-hijack (hope you'll forgive me) I have a friend who plays for the Bracknell Blizzards ice hockey team (amateur version of the Bees), and he's wanting me to go do some photography for him sometime. Any tips? Will a 70-200mm on a 40D be able to get good Ice Hockey pics?

Cheers dod & dakid (y)

dakid I've just submitted 3 shots to the rugby club for the match report and all were pretty boring :thumbsdown:

As for ice hockey you should be fine with the 70-200 (2.8 ?) on the 40D.

Not sure what the lighting will be like for you but be prepared to use an high iso..........also you might be shooting through plexi glass so take a cloth and find a decent piece to shoot through if you can :)

Look forward to seeing your shots (y)

Yeah, it's the 2.8 IS. Thanks :)

Yup ... it'll probably be pretty poor lighting! Apparently, I might be able to sit in a bit without plexi-glass. I think I prefer to keep my teeth though, so I might not take them up on that offer.

LOL I have a pass that says "access all areas".....you will always find me behind the plexi ;)

I've been given the email address of a guy called Ian, who's the official Bees photographer. Will have to contact him closer to the time, to see if I can get any advice about their specific stadium :)

Apparently, I might be able to sit in a bit without plexi-glass. I think I prefer to keep my teeth though, so I might not take them up on that offer.

When I shoot the Billingham Bombers I stand in the corner with no plexi glass... I've learned to move very quickly when the puck gets hoisted in my direction!

I`ve just been having a close look at your ice hockey images, they are exellent, they make mine look a bit, well I`ll say no more, and I think you would neat image them.

Just a few more of the Bracknell Bees.

Mine are @ iso3200 poacher......using noisware pro.

LJ5K7208-2.jpg

LJ5K7205.jpg

LJ5K7201-1.jpg

I wonder if the 40D at ISO3200, with my 70-200 and Noise Ninja (which I own) will achieve similar results? Well, I mean in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing, at least!

Back