Critique Saturdays Sunrise on Holy Island

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to Holy Island for the first time on saturday, and what a sunrise we got!
The light just seemed to explode all of a sudden and hung around for ages.
Loads of stuff to photograph there, no doubt i'll be back in the new year!

All taken on Canon 6D with LEE 0.9SE & Kood ND4HE Grads.

1) 6 sec // f16 // 17mm // ISO100

2) 2.5 sec // f16 // 17mm // ISO100

3) 2.5 sec // f16 // 17mm // ISO100

4) 1.6 sec // f16 // 17mm // ISO100

5) 1/20 sec // f4 // 36mm // ISO50

Thanks for looking :)

Nick

That's stunning, especially at this time of year. Great shots!

First & fourth work the best for me. With the third I'd be curious as to how they'd work just by capturing one in the corner to lead the eye like with 1 & 4. Not that it doesn't work as is, but just as another perspective.

Last edited:
Great set of images Nick, I like them all very much with the exception of the last one. It's a good shot but I'm not too keen on the colour balance.(y)

Only my opinion of coarse.

George.

Wow, they're great! The light is amazing in those, I'm a bit gutted now as I was up there the weekend before but the lack of cloud wasn't great for photos.

Hard to choose a favourite here as they're all good compositions and great light but I think I'd go for number 2. Well done!

Really lovely set.
No.3 wins for me because the perspective on the boat hulls just make it very different to the norm.

Lovely, especially enjoyed the first and third, though I somehow feel in the third that the hill (or whatever it is!) on the left almost distracts from the two boats and clouds which all point to the boat in distance, just feel a crop may be worth trying.
Thanks for sharing.

the first as I am a sucker for sunrise and sunsets, wonder what a tighter crop would look like, cropping just to the left of the castle and pulling the boats nearer by doing so.
good set though, and great place when the tourists are not about.

Super location and amazing light. I think you need to watch how much you are filtering the sky. #2 and #3 look rather heavily over-filtered and a bit unnatural as a result. The sky is just too dark for the amount of light in the foreground. #1 works better though is teetering on the edge of underexposed at the top of the frame. Easily tweaked on the computer if you wanted to achieve a more balanced result. Keep at it!

For me the image with the boats is the stand out one with the line of the boats leading the eye to the sunset. Really lovely.

Back