Saturn again..............

I think you should get closer, Mark! :ROFLMAO:
…and if you do, may I come along?

Give me 20 years and I will most likely to be on my way...

Can you wait that long??

Not sure about taking a camera though............

Give me 20 years and I will most likely to be on my way... Can you wait that long? Not sure about taking a camera though............

Let me take care of the gear as long
as you take care of the
sandwiches! ;)

Deal K...let you know when :):):):)

It looks a bit oversharpened to me on TP, looked slighly better on my laptop.

Near Swansea, I don't have perfect light, loads of light pollution as I am looking S/SE over the town from 10 miles away. Would be better if stacked, but the background light is amplified as well during that process.

Telescope and tripod are not too transportable alas......

hey ho on we go...

Mj

Apparently web cams are better at planetary imaging as you get lots of frames and the software selects and combines the best ones. I've not tried is as me, technology and astronomy don't mix, but I know people who do it. With a conventional camera you're always at the mercy of the seeing at the time the shutter fired. Was this prime focus (using the scope as the lens) or eyepiece projection (using eyepiece and lens)?

Hi Jan Thanks for reply and comments. This image was taken with the camera body attached to the scope directly, thus scope was the lens.

I have a web cam, a "proper" astro one bought from Wex (£189) , but have to say never really had any good results from it. I have tried videoing Saturn, and deriving several hundred images, and processed them with stacking software. But that result is no better than a single shot on the camera.

I obviously need to improve technique, but feel I am hampered by light pollution. I do have a video of a planet, and you can see the heat/light pollution wobbling the image

As said, I will keep trying, maybe need to visit the local astro club to see what they do to get good results........... Or go to Hawaii mountain top (been there without a good camera system, total black at night)

Mj :):):)

Hi Jan Thanks for reply and comments. This image was taken with the camera body attached to the scope directly, thus scope was the lens.

I have a web cam, a "proper" astro one bought from Wex (£189) , but have to say never really had any good results from it. I have tried videoing Saturn, and deriving several hundred images, and processed them with stacking software. But that result is no better than a single shot on the camera.

I obviously need to improve technique, but feel I am hampered by light pollution. I do have a video of a planet, and you can see the heat/light pollution wobbling the image

As said, I will keep trying, maybe need to visit the local astro club to see what they do to get good results........... Or go to Hawaii mountain top (been there without a good camera system, total black at night)

Mj :):):)

If you have a local astronomical society they can be useful places to pick people's brains as there'll be people there with a wide range of interests. It could be worth joining even if you don't go to many meetings and it's not really your thing. They don't usually cost much. It's possible they might also have somewhere you can observe/image from. Do you use Registax? I think that's the common one for web camming. Light pollution will always hamper you but it's not what causes the 'wobbling'. Get out there in the middle of winter! Eyepiece projection gives you a lot more magnification for planets with an SLR, but it's not easy.

Thanks for that.

Will look at eyepiece projection, and do some research ...............

Just had a quick look at my gear, and I may have a short eyepiece projection tube.

Just waiting to see the night sky again to try.

Mj

Last edited:
Back