Saving for Web

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone offer advice on saving images for web use? I normally just resize the image to 600X400 (or there abouts). However i find that doing this i loose quite a bit of the 'pop' from the colours. Also When uploading to a website the images tend to lose some of their sharpness

Hi,

You know its a funny thing but ive done it for ages. I literrally get the image I want in all its glory and press print screen..... I then paste it in ms paint, crop the image so only the image is left and save it as a really small file but still in the same quality as it was!

Lol, I know its a little long winded but I dont lose any quality for small files now. They are seen online the way they are in lightroom for me.

Im such a novice :p

Can anyone offer advice on saving images for web use? I normally just resize the image to 600X400 (or there abouts). However i find that doing this i loose quite a bit of the 'pop' from the colours. Also When uploading to a website the images tend to lose some of their sharpness

what format are you saving in just now?

i am saving the images in jpeg. I noramlly shoot in RAW, do any waork i need to and save my final edited images as PSD's. Then any i want to put on the web i resize and save a copy as a jpeg

That's all I would do - re-size - then USM - then save as jpeg quality '7' or so to keep reasonable quality with small file sizes. Should be fine.

I'm not sure what software you're using but when resizing try to use the sharpened scalling, then USM again a little. I never used to do this until recently and always wondered why a great shot looked crap on the web.

It can also depend on what you are uploading to. Simple own web space and it will be as you saved it. Active space that can resize for you and you are at the mercy of the server software - if it makes it smaller for you it may well be softened too.

It can also depend on what you are uploading to. Simple own web space and it will be as you saved it. Active space that can resize for you and you are at the mercy of the server software - if it makes it smaller for you it may well be softened too.

I wouldn't use any system that resized pictures on the fly - that's going to be bad. I have my own web server so none of these problems.

Before you Save for Web you will need to change the profile to sRGB, that way you will retain the colour 'pop'. For sharpening I have a Save for Web USM action, the settings are:

Amount 400%,
Radius 0.3,
Threshold 0.

Remember to do this before Saving for Web. Hope this helps.

You can also add pop to the the original image (if you're using the latest version : cs3) by using an S-Curve. This can be achieved by going into "Image", "Adjustments", "Curves", Then choosing the "increase contast" preset.

Hope this helps...

gave Hackers method a try last night, images seem to be much better when enlarged on the site but the thumbnails still look naf!!

The last 2 images on the headshots gallery are the ones tried with hackers method.

www.jameswardphotography.co.uk, please take a look you will see what i mean about the thumbnails and the other images looking soft

Back