Saving RAW files while traveling

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Guys
I'm looking for the best portable option for saving RAW files while traveling. Is there such a device that you can download your SD or CF cards onto without the use of a computer, or would it just be better to take enough memory cards to last the 4 or 14 day trip.
On another note any recommendations for a small backpack that can carry a DSLR (Leica S) plus 3 lenses and a few odds and ends SMALL.

Guys
I'm looking for the best portable option for saving RAW files while traveling. Is there such a device that you can download your SD or CF cards onto without the use of a computer, or would it just be better to take enough memory cards to last the 4 or 14 day trip.
On another note any recommendations for a small backpack that can carry a DSLR (Leica S) plus 3 lenses and a few odds and ends SMALL.

There are card reader back up type devices available though I don't know specific models. They seem less popular now I guess because many people now carry a laptop or tablet making them redundant. I assume that is not an option to you? I suspect taking plenty of memory cards and devising your own best practice for labelling and storing them may be a more cost effective and practical option.

Bags is a huge subject! Depends on exactly what you like to do. I like a bag that allows quick access to the camera so have gravitated towards Low pro sling shot (one shoulder rucksack type) but that might not work with bigger lenses. There will be several threads on this subject so worth a search through,.

If you simply want more capacity, then more cards is the easy option.

If you are looking to duplicate the RAW's, in case the original cards somehow become corrupted to lost (EG Theft of camera bag), then one (though somewhat slow) option is a USB OTG cable, Android Phone / Tablet (with largish micro SD card) and some USB memory sticks.
Use the USB OTG to connect camera to Phone / Tablet as a mas storage device, copy files from camera to Phone / Tablet, then disconnect camera, connect USB memory and copy from phone / Tablet to USB memory.

You can also get WiFi based media sharing devices, that include card readers and multiple USB sockets - these allow you to plug the memory card and USB memory into them, and copy directly (via the phone as a controller), but it's an extra bit of kit to carry and keep charged.

Cards is far better than any portable hard drive solution for just on the road storage

Plenty of cards and back them up to a portable HDD as well, whenever possible. Usually possible to do the transfer at a hotel or internet café. Belt and braces, burn DVDs as well!

There are a few other back-up options, but I think more cards is the favourite option these days, given the low prices.

As for bags and backpacks, there are hundreds of them in every conceivable shape and size and colour, with a variety of different styles/designs for different uses. Suggest you take a look at ThinkTank, Lowepro, Manfrotto, Tenba, Tamrac, Mindshift etc etc to get a feel for what's available and check the internal dimensions (usually pretty accurate). Then search YouTube for demo vids of your shortlist.

Just buy more cards, I took 6 on a three month travelling expedition and that was more than enough (x2 64gb, x4 32gb) and didn't use all the cards even though I must have taken circa 4K images.

I had them all in a small aluminium protective wallet that was the size of an iPhone.

I've decided to get a 11" MBA instead fully loaded which would give me plenty of storage space for a 21 day trip pulse be able to post pictures here as well while on the go

Having done the extra card option on a previous trip, I'm just back from a trip taking an 11" macbook and a small wd my passport ultra hard drive.
It was a great option for reviewing & editing images on the trip.
The tiny HD was used for a backup of all photos and ensured that I kept one copy of the pictures on me and another back at the hotel safe. The 11" macbook could just find into the safe!

If using a MacBook / laptop for back up, make sure you keep them on the cards still and bring enough - a friend of mine used a laptop to transfer and process then formatted the card to go again. Then he got his laptop stolen from the hotel and lost all his photos...

I'd take enough cards for 1 a day. Imagine if your storage device broke, lost or stolen?

I'd take enough cards for 1 a day. Imagine if your storage device broke, lost or stolen?

You can't really do that when you're 'properly' travelling though :)

I had 6 cards for 3 months, worked a treat.

Back