Saxon Church

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No

Saxon Church by Darren Curtis Photography., on Flickr

Saxon Church
An afternoon in Sompting village, as you may imagine not alot to catch the eye, except an old church built in c.960 AD by the old english saxon's. Coming forward in time to 1939 the A27 was stared and this split the village in two, however the church St Mary the Blessed Virgin is located between Lancing and Worthing, at the foot of the southern slope of the South Downs.
Its tower is topped with a "Rhenish helm"—a four-sided gabled pyramidal cap which is unique in England. I found myself drawn to the church, here' some photos to enjoy.

thats a weird building if i ever saw one. The roof looks like it has a different perspective to the building. Thats very clever. Would love to see other angles of that cap just to see how it looks.

Some nice colours in there too :)

What an interesting tower! I keep coming back to have another look and it is still a struggle to get my brain around it!! :) Like Carl said, have you got any other angles so as to get a different perspective on it?

Would love to see other angles of that cap just to see how it looks.

Me too - Google was my friend:LOL:

But, like this photo as well. Drew me in, got me thinking, made me want to learn more. I'll visit when I'm next down that way.

Well done. (y)

Intriguing building. Love the roof! Good colours. It could do with a slight CW rotation to set the tower vertical. I'd also look at cropping a little off the right so the tower isn't quite so central. It may, or may not, work!!

Last edited:
Back