SB-600 or SB-800

Edit My Images
Yes
Which one?

Not as easy as first thought tho!

Not only have I got to go to South Africa this coming weekend but in 2 weeks time I have got to go to California. So I thought I'd look at prices on flashguns in the US.

So do I buy a SB-600 and save about 80 quid off the UK price or do I take advantage of the cheaper prices and get a SB-800, which works out to 200 pounds, the same price as the SB-600 in the UK?

Buy the SB800 from Kerso on here - £203 delivered. It's is worth paying the extra over the 600. Oh yes. Ooops just seen where you are based in which case postage probably is a tad expensive...!!!

I will be able to buy the SB-800 in California for 200 quid, not sure what your point is at saying buy it from Kerso?!

i think he was trying to say theres no need to go to the US to save money on the flash, when there is a reputable supplier in the UK thats will supply them at the same cost as you have seen in the US.

but anyway.

Get the SB-800, definatly woth the extra, if you can afford the top model, why settle for second best?

Ah I see now! Well I've not got much of a choice of going to California or not, business trip.

I am leaning towards the SB-800. Can I control the SB-600 wireless-ly with my D80?

Yes the 600 & 800 fire off pre-flashes emitted from your on-board flash. More refined control comes from the flash options in the D80 menu system.

You can control the SB600 wirelessly, but the SB600 doesn't have a 'commander' function like the SB800, and so cannot be used to set of other flashes. Personally I use the SB600, as I have radio triggers for wireless activation. Both excellent flashguns though, good solid build, and function well.

I agree - contact Kerso. My SB600 was significantly cheaper than UK RRP.

I also have an SB-600 and use my D80 to set it off over wireless, i really want another because they are truley excellent!

From my D80 ill probably upgrade to a D300 which can also act as a "commander", so ill probably stick with the 600 over the 800, although the perfect setup would be 2 600's set to wireless with a 800 on the camera acting as commander!

Still undecided!!! It is correct that the 800 takes longer to recycle then the 600? Also the 800 battery life seems pretty poor compared to the 600, obviously thats because it is more powerful?

Ive heard the 600 recycles faster but havent used an 800 so dont know myself, i use 2700mah rechargeables in mine and they last a very long time, i.e a few weeks with medium to high use, so no complaints there.

I think if i had the choice and was willing to spend the extra to get the 800, i probably would but thats simply down to the fact it says SB800 on the front! the 600 is a superb flash and even with one it allows so much more creativity.

What does Auto Aperture mean when it comes to flash guns? I think the 800 has it but the 600 doesn't.

You can tell this will be my first flash gun can't you!!!!!!

Does anyone know what the 600 costs through Kerso...I know I could mail him but I wondered if anyone knows here?

I brought the SB600. I did a Nikon flashgun course at Digital Depot. Most of the people there had the SB800 and wish I had ended up buying it instead! Still do!

i brought a brand new sb800 off e-bay but in the uk £150 but it was 6 months ago !

am after another now awsume

glad i did a search for this.

Anyone got a link to Kerso, i've tried searching on here and the net and can't find anything.

Is it Still £203 for an SB-800?

Dal - Kerso sells off ebay but if you search under the member's list on here you can email him direct. I paid £203 (inc. delivery) back in November - you'll need to check his latest price (and post it on this thread in case I decide I can't live without another...)

I got the SB800 and love it. I would say the 800 due to it having more power, it just recycles quicker as it is not using a full power flash. I do not think I have heard anyone say that they wish they got the 600 instead of the 800 but I have heard people say I wish I got the 800 instead of the 600.;)

Back