SB800 experts: D3 + SB800 + skyports - how does it work?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Driving myself mad here. I got my Elinchrom skyports universal set today (transmitter and receiver) and haven't been able to use it because the right cable wasn't included. Out of the 5 (!) that came with it, not one was the right one to connect the receiver to the SB 800 pc port (why don't they include 1 :bang:), and I've now discovered I need to buy another cable seperately. Very annoying, and will now have to wait another few days.

Anyway, as I can't physically test it all out yet I've been trying to read up on it more, and can't find any answers anywhere to my quandry.

Basically I'm fine and dandy with Nikon's CLS system, using my sb800 as commander and 2 sb600's as remotes, and it all using TTL.

However, when using the skyports I know you lose the TTL function and have to 'go manual'. But I can't find out the nitty gritty of how you do this. When I set my SB800 to be a 'remote', there is no option to control the power output. Do I have to set it to su 24 mode? When you do this you can control it ie. 1/1 1/2/ 1/4 power etc, but in this mode isn't it just a slave that fires when it sees a flash? This doesn't seem right. I want it to be radio controlled by the skyport, in full manual mode, with the ability to alter the power output on the sb 800 in remote mode. Can I not do this?

Help......

I haven't used Skyports but off the top of my head I wouldn't have thought you wouldn't need to put the SB-800 in remote mode as it is not expecting a signal from the Commander, presumably the Skyport acts as the receiver and sends the signal to fire to the SB-800 so just put it in 'Normal' mode and you should be able to vary the output to your desired level.

let us know how you get on..

I haven't used Skyports but off the top of my head I wouldn't have thought you wouldn't need to put the SB-800 in remote mode as it is not expecting a signal from the Commander, presumably the Skyport acts as the receiver and sends the signal to fire to the SB-800 so just put it in 'Normal' mode and you should be able to vary the output to your desired level.

let us know how you get on..

Hacker - I think you might have it there. :) Seems the only logical conclusion. As I 've been using Nikon's CLS system I automatically assume you need to set everything that's off camera to be a 'remote'.
It's just frustrating as I've got the gear sat in front of me but can't use it because of one **** ant lead that should be included in the first place (they stick every other conceivable lead in the eleinchrom box apart from the one I actually need!)

Set it in manual and basically you then control the flash.

No need to set it in remote as remember your not using the Nikon CLS, you just need the flash set ready to fire whenever you want, not using the CLS.

Hope that sort of helps out

Yep, once you have the skyports hooked up, SU-4 mode, and then set all power output/manual settings on the flash itself (assuming they work the same as the old(ish) pocketwizards).

Thanks for the help folks. Makes perfect sense now. I don't think it needs to be in su-4 mode though does it?

Hopefully my cable should arrive today, so will know for sure...

Back