SB800 flashgun question

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got this through from Kerso (cheers mate), so I've been having a play with it tonight.

I'm reading in the manual about the High speed Flash sync mode (F5 only).

Well whats F5?? and can I do this High speed flash sync using a Nikon D50 camera??

The section for it in the manual is a table and I can't figure it out at all.

Thanks in advance (y)

I think F5 refers to the Nikon F5 film camera, which was the top of the range camera in the Nikon line up for quite awhile.

There's a lot of info about the SB800 here. Not the most upto date, but a lot of info non the less.

i have D 80 & sb 800 and high sync flash is selected on camera not flash CSM 25
i cant remember if D 50 has that facility or not :shrug:

All the above is correct, I think it is the D80 and above that have the Auto FP mode, what were you hoping to use it for?

Have a nikon D200 and SB800 flash which I have been using on a seperate tripod via the camera inbuilt infra red trigger.
I have now bought a Elinchrom D4 lite kit. I know that portraits are best with 3 flashes as opposed to 2. The third used mostly as a backlight to reduce shadow etc. Anyone have views on the setup and if I can sucessfully use the remote SB800 as the 3rd flash
Thank you for input

Just got this through from Kerso (cheers mate), so I've been having a play with it tonight.

I'm reading in the manual about the High speed Flash sync mode (F5 only).

Well whats F5?? and can I do this High speed flash sync using a Nikon D50 camera??

The section for it in the manual is a table and I can't figure it out at all.

Thanks in advance (y)

Hope you don,t mind me asking, what price does kerso charge for that flashgun,

Tel - I bought my last SB800 from Kerso in November - £205 inc. delivery (paypal).

im going to jump this thread saves me clogging up the forum

im confused to what aperture setting my sb needs to be on when using it off camera on manual i have been told to start at 1/4 power and work up and down concerning that. and to ignore the apetrure reading ? is this right?

Why bother with manual? Nikon's Creative Lighting System is the best there is. Set your D200 in commander mode and your SB800's in Slave mode and you have perfect exposure! I wouldn't worry too much about the light output from the on board flash, it's effect is pretty much negligible.

If you're worried, place a dark film over the on-camera gun. It all works via infra-red, so you still have control.

i fire it via PW because of the angles. of where i place the flashes.
maunal is much more controllable

You f depends on the power of the flash and what the ambiet reading is. Look in the viewfinder and get the camera to the correct exposure and then up the f number by by how every many stops you want to cut down the ambiet. Then just use the flash to add back light to th subject you want correctly exposed.

All depends on what you want to look like.

Look at the Stobist 101 blog

Back