Scam alert?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I had pop up on my computer a notice saying I had exceeded my storage limit to the cloud account and wanted me to buy a larger storage. Strangely I have not subscribed or have an account to cloud on the internet.

Last edited:
Similar to the one I have seen many times in the last couple of months which is warning me my PC is at risk because my McAfee subscription has expired and I should click on a link in the email - the McAfee subscription I have never had.

Dave

Could you see the source of the pop up? Windows by default does try to get you to sync to Onedrive and I've seen some people caught out by this not even realising they've done it. If it's not that and instead some scam pop-up, I'd have a look into where it's coming from to make sure there's not some malware on your system.

If you were surfing the web at the time, it could've been a browser pop-up from a compromised website (or a dodgy ad server) crafted to look like an operating system dialogue box.

It's a dodgy cookie. Clear your cookies and move on.
If it locks your pc hold the power button down to force shutdown, reboot then clear cookies.

At the end of the day it's the user fault or bare minimum complete ignorance regardless of the system. Hands up if you use chrome virus, never bothered to install ad blocker, but happily wave through security checks for some random malware, and to top it off leave all optional ads enabled. Good luck if you have this attitude

found out the cause, it was sync to another device which I haver now disconnected. thank you all for your help

Back