Scam - where's the catch

Name
Mister Film
Edit My Images
Yes
Long story short. Contacted the guy trough gumtree, and like most of the time there is the same old story "moved there and there, got item with me" :geek:
Seller is giving this kind of offer:

"Wanted to let you know that I just moved with my work for 3 months in Belfast, i have the item here with me and would like to close the transaction through the PayPoint service (you can find it at the local store near you).
The delivery will be next day and you will have the opportunity to try and inspect the item at the store or at your address before I receive the money.
The transaction will be cash on delivery, let me know if you're interested to use this service.The item will be delivered via RoyalMail/DHL and the delivery will be payed by me"

Any ideas how this one works? :help:

Yes - you transfer money and you never see it again...

Or the lens, or whatever the item is.

At a guess....when you contact him he'll ask for a deposit, one you'll never get back and no item will appear.
Try messaging him back and see how it goes.

The guy says payment later. Never mentioned deposit. Anyway will let you know how it works :)

that's to draw you in - he'll ask for a 'small deposit' once he thinks you are hooked

try " by coincidence my best mate is traveling to Belfast next week - how about he meets up with you and does cash on delivery instead" - watch him wriggle and come up with excuses about how he can't meet because he "has to nurse his elderly dying mother/ works for the security services and can't be identified/ has just remembered he has to travel to Timbuktu/ etc"

Last edited:
that's to draw you in - he'll ask for a 'small deposit' once he thinks you are hooked

try " by coincidence my best mate is traveling to Belfast next week - how about he meets up with you and does cash on delivery instead" - watch him wriggle and come up with excuses about how he can't meet because he "has to nurse his elderly dying mother/ works for the security services and can't be identified/ has just remembered he has to travel to Timbuktu/ etc"

That's a good one! Why the hell I'm not so smart :bonk:

Yo

They always live , have moved to hard to reach places. Its amazing how many sell expensive camera items who live on a remote Scottish island.

I tried saying fancy that I'm in xxxx next week we can meet up, then the excuses came.

John

Tell him you have a friend who lives in newtownards who is going to take a look at it for you before you buy.

I live in newtownards , its a small town 10 miles from belfast .

Nice one stumac! :D

Just a quick update :) so yesterday seller informed me that safepaycard should contact me today. But guess what, they contacted me yesterday at night straight after his email :)
Its a nice dodgy email with pixelated logos. In email really officialy they asked me to buy vouchers at paypoint and confirm with them :)
So i ran to pypoint and bought two vouchers and apearently both YOUA REAN IDIO T555 and NOTG ONNA HAPPEN were confirmed by his dodgy link :) Seller confirmed that he received confirmations.
Yaeaay!!! My 70-200 coming tomorrow :)

I contacted a seller on Gumtree about a set of golf clubs and got a generic reply like you have, steer well clear. I phoned the police and they have said its a large scam at the moment, lots of people being drawn into it.

I had a similar one with a road bike.
Basically the scam works like this:
The seller is ALWAYS away but will send the item down for you to have a look at and decide whether you want it or not.
To show that you're a serious buyer he/she will ask you to buy a pre-pay voucher for the item value (in my case it was Ukash) and send them just the first x number of digits to prove that you've actually bought it and will then send the item down.....not!
The first x number of digits is all they need, they then have the money from that voucher.
Needless to say I didn't fall for it. ;)

Back