Scanner for slides

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
It has been suggested that I post this request here -
I'm thinking of scanning some of my Fathers old 35mm slides on to DVD's.
Which scanner would you recommend for this type of work.
Thanks
Dave

if it's a couple of boxes of them and it's just for dvd playback, one of those cheapo £50 jobs, if it's for anything more demanding, such as enlargement to 10x8 or above, then something like a Epson V500/Canon 8800F. If theres boxes and boxes of them, get them done by someone - scanning hundreds/thousands of slides is soul destroying :)

Thanks Mark for the options, it sounds as if you have done this before.
Dave

Perhaps cheaper (and better) would be to use a service like this:

https://www.scanitall.co.uk/ScanItAll/eshop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v2.tpl&product_id=113

I've used them before and the quality is excellent, they scan at 4000dpi with Digital ICE infra-red dust and scratch reduction and restore any faded colours. I suspect that at least some of your slides will be Kodachromes which don't work with Digital ICE properly normally but this place has a Nikon Coolscan 9000ED that does do the job properly. The images are high quality jpegs but they will do TIFFs if you ask for them.

Thanks, Sam...a really interesting site, may look at that as the best option.
Thanks again
Dave

Thanks Mark for the options, it sounds as if you have done this before.
Dave
I started off with one of the £50 maplin specials - I was lucky enough to be able to borrow it, and give it a try. There's nothing wrong with them, provided you're just trying to get 6x4" prints or something for a dvd slideshow (though the one I borrowed didn't like co-existing with a TV card fitted in my machine and would manage maybe 2 frames before blue-screening which drove me to near insanity)

It did however allow me to decide that I wanted to carry on shooting on film, and digitise the shots for the output stage. At this point I made the decision to get a decent quality scanner - as I needed 120 film capability as well, I plumped for the Canoscan 8800F, which I've not regretted since.

As I'm scanning shots that are new to me, at worst I might have 2-3 rolls of 35mm, which can be knocked out in a couple of evenings. By the end of those 2 evenings though, I feel like shooting on digital for a couple of weeks, as I REALLY don't want to see the scanner interface for a while.

Hence the recomendation to go to a scanning service if you've a pile of slide-boxes to get through :LOL:

Thanks Mark, I need to count how many old slides my Dad has and then see how much the scanning service would be.
Thanks again for the interesting info.
Dave

If it's just your dad's old slides you want to scan I recommend getting a decent scanner from ebay, something like the Nikon Coolscan IV or V. Scanning what you have and then put it back on ebay, you lose won't much, if anything at all, they go for very good prices and hold their value exceedingly well.

I think it all depends on what tyou want to do with the pics afterwards.

My mam had about 250 slides that she wanted to view again, but had no slide viewer so i said i waould give it a go.
I bought a cheapy off ebay, £35 I think it was and it worked a treat (ok abit long winded but it did the job) I tidyed them up in photoshop, got rid of dust etc etc and put them all on a disc for my mam and she looked at them on the TV via her DVD player, she was made up and brought back so many memories of her and my dad.

Spike

Dave,

How many slides? I have a V500 here which can scan 4 at a time and 3 impoverished students. One of them will no doubt be happy to scan them for you for a few beer vouchers :)

Darren - thanks very much for your very kind offer.
I need to go up to my Mums and get them down from the loft so may I come back to you once I have the answer.......thanks again very much appreciated
Dave

Back