Scanner Question, Help Please!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand scanner to convert negatives to digital. The one i'm looking at is in full working condition and looks in perfect cosmetic condition. The owner says he's had it a while and my only worry is that the scanning quality may not be as sharp as when it was first purchased. Does scanning quality degrade over time with older scanners or do I have nothing to worry about as long as the scanner works etc.?

Thanks

Tom

The first issues can be connection type (is it usb or something else that's more antiquated?) and whether its drivers are compatible with your operating system (if not, then Vuescan is a common workaround).

There would be no harm in naming the exact scanner that you're talking about - help us to help.

I don't know if scanners 'go off' with keeping, but perhaps posting this question in the Film and Conventional section of the forum might bring a few more responses from people in the know?

A couple more things to perhaps think about: Does the scanner you're considering have a USB connection or is it the older SCSI type connection, which will require a SCSI board on your computer to connect to? Also, what size negs are you wanting to convert as some only cope with 35mm format?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand scanner to convert negatives to digital. The one i'm looking at is in full working condition and looks in perfect cosmetic condition. The owner says he's had it a while and my only worry is that the scanning quality may not be as sharp as when it was first purchased. Does scanning quality degrade over time with older scanners or do I have nothing to worry about as long as the scanner works etc.?

Thanks

Tom
Funnily enough I was looking at mine (and it's handbook) last night, the only mention in the handbook is the light source degrades over time and may need replacing.
From a practical point of view I would also guess the transport mechanism for the light/lens may wear and consequently go out of focus (if it's a fixed focus model, mine is V700 Epson) - no idea if this actually ever happens though.
I'm not overly impressed with mine tbh and it did cost a lot when I bought it, flatbeds arent supposed to be as good as a "proper" neg scanner, so I have looked into alternatives and it would seem a decent copy stand, light box and a macro lens on a digital camera actually produces a better image i.e. higher resolution and supposedly a lot quicker too, although I havent tried this method (yet).
I did 14 negs last night (2 strips) at 4800 dpi into jpeg format with some dust deletion on and the scan took 25 minutes after setting everything up.
Matt

Last edited:
The first issues can be connection type (is it usb or something else that's more antiquated?) and whether its drivers are compatible with your operating system (if not, then Vuescan is a common workaround).

There would be no harm in naming the exact scanner that you're talking about - help us to help.

Hi, its an Epson Perfection V550, the owner states it is 3 years old and has probably done about 150 film rolls! Thanks

Funnily enough I was looking at mine (and it's handbook) last night, the only mention in the handbook is the light source degrades over time and may need replacing.
From a practical point of view I would also guess the transport mechanism for the light/lens may wear and consequently go out of focus (if it's a fixed focus model, mine is V700 Epson) - no idea if this actually ever happens though.
I'm not overly impressed with mine tbh and it did cost a lot when I bought it, flatbeds arent supposed to be as good as a "proper" neg scanner, so I have looked into alternatives and it would seem a decent copy stand, light box and a macro lens on a digital camera actually produces a better image i.e. higher resolution and supposedly a lot quicker too, although I havent tried this method (yet).
I did 14 negs last night (2 strips) at 4800 dpi into jpeg format with some dust deletion on and the scan took 25 minutes after setting everything up.
Matt

How old is your scanner MatBin? The one i'm looking at is an Epson V550 but is around 3 years old! Any insight would greatly help me!

I don't know if scanners 'go off' with keeping, but perhaps posting this question in the Film and Conventional section of the forum might bring a few more responses from people in the know?

A couple more things to perhaps think about: Does the scanner you're considering have a USB connection or is it the older SCSI type connection, which will require a SCSI board on your computer to connect to? Also, what size negs are you wanting to convert as some only cope with 35mm format?

I will post in film and conventional section too, thanks for your help! Scanner is USB and is around 3 years old. Negatives are 35mm which I am wanting to scan with a Canon AE1 that i've just purchased!

How old is your scanner MatBin? The one i'm looking at is an Epson V550 but is around 3 years old! Any insight would greatly help me!
The v700 came out about 10 years ago (I think), mine's a bit younger than that, but tbh it hasnt had much use, as with all things camera age and use are the important considerations. How much is the one you might purchase, if that's not a rude question.

The v700 came out about 10 years ago (I think), mine's a bit younger than that, but tbh it hasnt had much use, as with all things camera age and use are the important considerations. How much is the one you might purchase, if that's not a rude question.

Has it has more usage than 150 rolls of camera do you think? The one i'm thinking of buying is at £82 at the moment and it ends this evening. I think I may be able to get it for around £120 which is around £40 below retail. This may seem like a cheap model to you but just to let you know i'm a poor student and the only camera I have is an AE1 so don't need anything high budget. The reason I'm asking is because I need to know whether I should go for the second hand one or pay more for a new one! Thanks :)

Has it has more usage than 150 rolls of camera do you think? The one i'm thinking of buying is at £82 at the moment and it ends this evening. I think I may be able to get it for around £120 which is around £40 below retail. This may seem like a cheap model to you but just to let you know i'm a poor student and the only camera I have is an AE1 so don't need anything high budget. The reason I'm asking is because I need to know whether I should go for the second hand one or pay more for a new one! Thanks :)
A new one will get you a guarantee (should be 2 years on electrical products). I'm guessing e-bay or similar, so who pays postage or can you collect.
I'd pay the extra and get a new one personally
Mine's done nowhere near 150 rolls.
Who will be developing your films?
AE1 is a fine camera, I still have mine from the early 80's :)

A new one will get you a guarantee (should be 2 years on electrical products). I'm guessing e-bay or similar, so who pays postage or can you collect.
I'd pay the extra and get a new one personally
Mine's done nowhere near 150 rolls.
Who will be developing your films?
AE1 is a fine camera, I still have mine from the early 80's :)

Ok i think i may get a new one then! I'm not bothered about developing the films, simply getting them onto my computer! The V550 will enable me to do this and will also save me some cash by not having to pay to have them developed all the time!

Ok i think i may get a new one then! I'm not bothered about developing the films, simply getting them onto my computer! The V550 will enable me to do this and will also save me some cash by not having to pay to have them developed all the time!
They will need to be developed, you cant just pull the film out of the back of the camera and scan it.
As per my pm, a lab will often scan as part of a package deal.
the Film section should help out on where to get it done.

I have an old Epson V500 scanner that must be 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. If the one your being offered is fully working it will last years. Don’t spend money on new if you can get the V550 cheap.

All films have to be developed (in wet chemistry), even if not printed. Thereafter they can be scanned.

Scanning can be a black art especially when it comes to colour negatives, so you have been warned. It's not really a casual business - you have to be motivated enough to persist and conquer any problems. But it can be done. It's also time-consuming.

That used scanner should do you fine, given the above.

Back