Scanner won't power up

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Plustek 7500i, of some vintage. Normally, it sits on my desk, plugged in to a power strip that just stays on, even when we're away. This time, I thought I should save some money and reduce the fire risk, so I switched the strip off (I've done this a few times before without problems). Having come home yesterday to find my AG-processed negs waiting for me, I wanted to scan them so, having switched the power strip back on yesterday (and other devices working fine), I pressed the power button on the Plustek. And nothing happened. :(

I've tried all the usual disconnect/reconnect, try a different socket etc, to no avail. The one clue is that the other power supply connectors on the strip are slightly warm, as they usually are, and this one was quite cold. So I'm guessing the power supply has gone bung.

For a bit I thought I might be able to use the power supply for my V500 (they both have the same round connector at the device end), but AFAICS the Epson is 24V and the Plustek is 15V (1.0A), so that would NOT be a good idea.

I did a search on fleabay for the part number (SYS1308-1515), and found this listing . It uses the same part number in the heading, but not on the device; however the specs look the same. Worth the risk?

Any 15V 1A power supply should do the job to be honest

I have a Plustek 7500i, of some vintage. Normally, it sits on my desk, plugged in to a power strip that just stays on, even when we're away. This time, I thought I should save some money and reduce the fire risk, so I switched the strip off (I've done this a few times before without problems). Having come home yesterday to find my AG-processed negs waiting for me, I wanted to scan them so, having switched the power strip back on yesterday (and other devices working fine), I pressed the power button on the Plustek. And nothing happened. :(

I've tried all the usual disconnect/reconnect, try a different socket etc, to no avail. The one clue is that the other power supply connectors on the strip are slightly warm, as they usually are, and this one was quite cold. So I'm guessing the power supply has gone bung.

For a bit I thought I might be able to use the power supply for my V500 (they both have the same round connector at the device end), but AFAICS the Epson is 24V and the Plustek is 15V (1.0A), so that would NOT be a good idea.

I did a search on fleabay for the part number (SYS1308-1515), and found this listing . It uses the same part number in the heading, but not on the device; however the specs look the same. Worth the risk?

That says it is 12V as well
Plenty on eBay from £10.99 15v

Last edited:
Without wishing to state the obvious…….Is there actually electricity reaching the power block? ie, has the fuse in the plug blown?

Any 15V 1A power supply should do the job to be honest
That's good...
That says it is 12V as well
Plenty on eBay from £10.99 15v
I didn't see any reference to 12V there...

Must say I'd rather use a different one, as the one linked apparently has a LED on it, which would really annoy me at night! However, when I search for 15V 1A power supply UK I get all sorts of stuff from £1.99 upwards. So how to choose a reliable one?

Without wishing to state the obvious…….Is there actually electricity reaching the power block? ie, has the fuse in the plug blown?
That I can definitely answer, yes, as I'm listening to the radio powered by the power block!

That's good...

I didn't see any reference to 12V there...

Must say I'd rather use a different one, as the one linked apparently has a LED on it, which would really annoy me at night! However, when I search for 15V 1A power supply UK I get all sorts of stuff from £1.99 upwards. So how to choose a reliable one?

That I can definitely answer, yes, as I'm listening to the radio powered by the power block!
This one is actually for sale in Edinburgh Chris, so you can knock their door if you have any problem with it!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15v-Plus...462792?hash=item33e103ec48:g:L1EAAOSwklxcdWDe

with difficult. Perhaps try Amazon based on reviews and do not buy the cheapest.

Last edited:
I surmise I may be stating the obvious but if you want(?) to stick with OEM supplied spares?

https://plustek.com/uk/products/buy-parts-and-accessories.html

Their page of where to buy (plustek kit)
https://plustek.com/uk/where-to-buy.html

UK contacts points...........
https://plustek.com/uk/about-us/contact-us.html

HTH perhaps;)

probably safest, but will cost more. If the current one has served you well, this may be the best option. Is the Plustek 7500i still available?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the Plustek site... they don't list much info on the 7500i which is definitely not current. I tried Wex, as one of the agents, no sign of any accessories. That's when I started looking at the back of the power supply itself and getting part numbers & other info there.

This one is actually for sale in Edinburgh Chris, so you can knock their door if you have any problem with it!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15v-Plus...462792?hash=item33e103ec48:g:L1EAAOSwklxcdWDe
Good spot Peter. Supposedly a 1 year warranty, though some slightly dodgy "not delivered" feedback... nevertheless, I've ordered it.

This saga has been really annoying me, because I had a roll of Ilford Pan 400 processed by AG, and I want to scan them to see how they look, before placing an order for something else from FirstCall, who have it in stock, so I could add some more for marginal zero postage!

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the Plustek site... they don't list much info on the 7500i which is definitely not current. I tried Wex, as one of the agents, no sign of any accessories. That's when I started looking at the back of the power supply itself and getting part numbers & other info there.

Purely FWIW
Were I in your shoes I might make contact with Plustek and ask them based on the power supply rating e.g. 15V at 1A is there a suitable currently available alternative such as used on the current 8000 series?

As mentioned on this part of the first page I linked to:-

15V/1.2A AC Adapter(Level 6-ENG)
14-03-A7J1010-C.JPG

Part Number
For Europe: 27-A2F-0036A122
For UK: 27-A2F-0036A123
For USA: 27-A2F-0036A121
Input Voltage100~240V
Output Voltage/Watt15V / 1.2A
Applicable Model
OpticFilm 8100, 8200i Series

PS a "Max Bygraves" for you ~ I have one of those small digital Dymo label printers, runs on AA batteries but can be mains powered using a power block not unlike the many we all have. Then official Dymo one is half the price of the printer and for the amount I use it was not justified. So, I looked at getting a third party one but went via Amazon and found a reputable brand(as far as I could determine!) called Lavolta.

I bought the one designated as for use with the Dymo but cautious and 'like to know person' that I am, because the printer has the + & - terminations identified printed on the casing I compared it to the similar markings on the power supply plug and the to my annoyance it was reversed!!!!!

Long story short ~ I got a refund from the merchant but they did not even want the item back. I also reported this to Amazon pointing out that they were selling a merchants product that could fry the printer it was sold as suitable for :( I was not convinced that either party took any notice :banghead::banghead::banghead::bat::bat::bat:

Of course only one example but IMO when buying third party products, even those that are not ultra cheap (the Lavolta was mid range'ish) caveat emptor rules!

Last edited:
By the time of your post @Box Brownie I had already ordered the power supply. It finally arrived today, and with some trepidation I plugged it in. Luckily, it worked, and nothing has blown up so far.

I did note that the original power supply had a cylindrical plastic thing a little along the wire from the scanner end. I think this must be some kind of suppressor. The new one doesn't have it, but seems to be functioning fine anyway. Currently scanning a roll of Ilford Pan400.

Thanks for your help, folks.

Back