Scanning 35mm slides (some kodachrome) & negatives

Edit My Images
No
I was about to buy the epson perfection v500 to scan in many 35mm slides which my dad has. I have found out that a lot of them are kodachrome and from what people have said when scanning kodachrome the results are poor compared to other slides or negatives but i've never seen any examples.

Has anyone any experience of scanning 35mm slides especially kodachrome that could recommend a scanner, something like the epson v500 (v700 if it's worth the extra) canon 8800f etc

thanks

only tried on a V700 but kodachrome didn't seem any harder than other slides:

Show022.jpg

don't kno about the v500, sorry

I can't get Kodachrome to shoot it in the first place, so I haven't scanned any.
The word on the street is that digital ICE which is a scratch/dust removal utility built in to a lot of om scan software, doesn't work very well with it, not the actual scanner/scan software, but you don't need to use ICE to scan a neg, I know I don't.
I've not heard anything bad about either the V500 or V700.

I can't get Kodachrome to shoot it in the first place

Have you not seen it on 7dyshop? it's about £6.50 including processing. That puts it as the same price as standard slides in most cases:thinking:

Have you not seen it on 7dyshop? it's about £6.50 including processing. That puts it as the same price as standard slides in most cases:thinking:

Have we done this before, or was that somebody else :LOL:

deja-vu

Mamiya 6 is ma weapon :D

only tried on a V700 but kodachrome didn't seem any harder than other slides:

cheers, from what i've read the quality output from the kodachromes aren't as good compared to other 35mm slides and the digital ICE doesn't work as mentioned before.

i so want to get these done but don't want to spend £200-350 on the v500 or v700 to find out the kodachromes look awful although the kodachrome scan above looks alright to me. i was hoping to get the v500 as it's under £200 but i'm leaning towards the v700 at the min but it's another £150 :thinking:

Most of my "conventional" shooting was done on K filmstock. I've scanned many, many of them and have had no trouble. I don't know the scanner you mention but I use a Nikon Coolscan which is a dedicated film scanner.

Can anyone explain why Kodachrome might be 'harder' to scan than any other slide film?

Can't think of a reason myself.

I've no idea why Kodachromes should be any harder to scan than other fillums... There's no reason for that at all.
Choose and buy your scanner but if I were you I'd not worry about Kodachromes being harder to scan, that sounds like nonsense to me.:)

I've no idea why Kodachromes should be any harder to scan than other fillums... There's no reason for that at all.
Choose and buy your scanner but if I were you I'd not worry about Kodachromes being harder to scan, that sounds like nonsense to me.:)
Having asked I see there is a comment on Wikipedia - but they say that it needs 'additional citations for verification'.

Dunno. Still sounds like a number-of-angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin problem to me.

Back