Scanning negatives to digital

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. If I have, please tell me where I should have posted it. :)

Now, I have gone back to shooting on film. Purely black and white using an Olympus OM-1. One thing I'd love to do is to scan my negatives into a digital format for a number of unimportant reasons. There are many scanners around that can do this, but they all seem to scan to Jpeg format. I have found some flatbed scanners that scan negatives to pdf but I don't even know what image format is used in a pdf file created this way.
Ideally I want to be able to scan to something lossless like TIFF. Does anyone know of a scanner that can achieve this? Or should I go for the highest resolution scanner I can find and scan to Jpeg then use restoration software like "unJpeg."
I don't care about file size, I'd rather have giant files chock full of information than compression. I am serious about this - and what I want these images for is irrelevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for achieving scanning of negatives to TIFF or other pretty much lossless formats please?

Thank you

Posting this in the Talk Film And Conventional section might bring some additional answers or suggestions, so perhaps do a cut and paste on your wording and try an additional post in there (in case they don't spot it in this section!)? :)

Hi, I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. If I have, please tell me where I should have posted it. :)

Now, I have gone back to shooting on film. Purely black and white using an Olympus OM-1. One thing I'd love to do is to scan my negatives into a digital format for a number of unimportant reasons. There are many scanners around that can do this, but they all seem to scan to Jpeg format. I have found some flatbed scanners that scan negatives to pdf but I don't even know what image format is used in a pdf file created this way.
Ideally I want to be able to scan to something lossless like TIFF. Does anyone know of a scanner that can achieve this? Or should I go for the highest resolution scanner I can find and scan to Jpeg then use restoration software like "unJpeg."
I don't care about file size, I'd rather have giant files chock full of information than compression. I am serious about this - and what I want these images for is irrelevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for achieving scanning of negatives to TIFF or other pretty much lossless formats please?

Thank you

Ideally I want to be able to scan to something lossless like TIFF. Does anyone know of a scanner that can achieve this?
Several, for example the Epson V-series.

It's likely to be the standard software supplied rather than the scanner itself that imposes JPG restrictions with some scanners.

Thank you Dark Knight. And to think I doubted anyone would have any answers to this. You guys are all amazing. Thanks for all this help

Have a look through this thread here there's quite a lot of information and pointers to other site and general good advice, if you have any other specific questions there's a good chance one of us on here will have the answer.

Thank you everyone, for all your help and the speediness of your suggestions.
I have just bought
Epson Perfection 3490 Photo Flatbed Scanner
for £40, and downloaded the Vuescan software

So, let's see how that works out - 3600 DPI should be good for 8x10 prints if I ever need to go to that size and Vuescan lets me scan, not only to TIFF but RAW. Should be here in a couple of days so we'll see how it all works out.

Thanks everyone

I have just bought

So, let's see how that works out - 3600 DPI should be good for 8x10 prints if I ever need to go to that size and Vuescan lets me scan, not only to TIFF but RAW. Should be here in a couple of days so we'll see how it all works out.

Thanks everyone

IMHO it's worth paying for Vuescan Pro rather than the bog standard version... you may have done this already, but just in case. Apart from anything else, a lifetime of updates for one price is VERY good value!

Thanks Chris. After I've run it, assuming that it works fine for me, I will probably upgrade as you suggest - if only because I do believe that people should be rewarded for their work. That's how old fashioned I am :)

I have just bought

Thanks everyone

If you won that auction then there's some info on the scanner here which says the film holder might be under the document mat;
http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/perf3490/html/set2_2.htm

Just trying to point out that the auction says it doesn't come with the film holder but the instructions say it can be stored under the document mat, so check under there when it turns up before you buy a film holder for it as it might save you a few pounds.

I don't see where it says it doesn't come with the film holder.
It does say "- Other cables / accessories / installation advice are NOT INCLUDED"
but this company puts that line on just about all the printers and scanners they sell on. There are accessories that you can buy separately for this unit and it does not come with them. But the film holder is integral to the unit. I'll send it back if it doesn't have that part, and buy a different scanner. Thanks for pointing that out though. You may be right. I read it differently and like I say, I'll be getting the full refund - there is a 30 day return option. I've just messaged them to ask about the film holder, and if it's not there, not to send it and refund the money.
Thank you once again

Back