Scanning negatives - warping problem

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Complete amateur here.
I've recently bought a Canon CanoScan Lide 700Fand I've started scanning some negatives in. Apart from the usual dust and scratches I'm now noticing some warping on the scans. This can be seen mostly near the left hand.
The film is Kodak GC400, it's only recently been developed and it has been stored well. Not just limited to this picture but others too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.

Hi
Complete amateur here.
I've recently bought a Canon CanoScan Lide 700Fand I've started scanning some negatives in. Apart from the usual dust and scratches I'm now noticing some warping on the scans. This can be seen mostly near the left hand.
The film is Kodak GC400, it's only recently been developed and it has been stored well. Not just limited to this picture but others too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.

Well I'm not an expert on Canon scanners, but are you suggesting the film holder is not supporting the negative properly? As for dust, using a blower that reduces it, and also clean your neg with a soft handkerchief.

I think that is the issue. The problem is the film holder isn't very good on the canon scanner. The film lies on the glass. The film holder is essentially there as a guide.

A quick google suggests that you#re right - the negative holder on the Lide700 is pants :(

Depending on the lighting arrangement in the lid, you may be able to get hold of some Anti-Newton glass and use that to hold the negatives flat for scanning. Failing that, put the neg's in their sleeves, and stich them in a thick book, under a couple of telephone directories for a couple of days in a warm place - the negatives might just flatten out enough to scan properly :shrug:

Or a new negative holder, should be fine if you position it correctly. Alternatively just return it for a V330.

Back