Scanning old photos

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope this is the correct forum, I have a HP deskjet 2632 scanner and lots of old photos to scan - some from pre WWI
A) Is this of good enough quality?
B) When I scan a photo I get white bits round the sides - is there an automatic way to remove these or do I have to do it myself manually one by one?

Post up a couple of the photos so we can see what you mean. Is it the actual photos you are scanning or the negatives ? If it's the actual photos I would say any scanner would be good enough but to get the ulimate from each photo you may need to use some photo processing software.

Post up a couple of the photos so we can see what you mean. Is it the actual photos you are scanning or the negatives ? If it's the actual photos I would say any scanner would be good enough but to get the ulimate from each photo you may need to use some photo processing software.
I will do that later (I need to find some I can). It is the actual photos.

As there are lots I was hoping to find an automated way of doing this.

Well I scan my old photos but everybody else in my family and if I have an interesting photo they just take a shot with their mobile.....I've seen about a 6ft picture in a house, on a wall, and viewing it from about 10ft away was VG and ask the person about it and she said "I just took a shot of a photo with my mobile and had it printed" o_O (y)

Brian is right using you mobile can have excellent results , even better in my experience than trying to use a standard type camera with supposedly better specs.

Well I scan my old photos but everybody else in my family and if I have an interesting photo they just take a shot with their mobile.....I've seen about a 6ft picture in a house, on a wall, and viewing it from about 10ft away was VG and ask the person about it and she said "I just took a shot of a photo with my mobile and had it printed" o_O (y)
Surely for lots of photos using a scanner would be quicker than using a mobile as you wouldn't have to waste time aligning it.
Brian is right using you mobile can have excellent results , even better in my experience than trying to use a standard type camera with supposedly better specs.
I would have thought that a scanner would be better - see above
If running windows you might try this software: https://autosplitter.com/
Thanks, that looks perfect

Surely for lots of photos using a scanner would be quicker than using a mobile as you wouldn't have to waste time aligning it.

Well if you have lots of small ones you could fit them on the glass of the scanner and do them all in one go.

Back