70-200/2.8L

tripod

pentax 67 kit

webcam

phone camera

lighting gear

stuff I might have in my room

I have some slides I'm chuffed with and want to share :D

Sorry David, am I missing something? What's your problem? Most techy problems can be sorted by the good folk of TP.

I have some 6x7 slides I'd like to scan and share

but no access to a film scanner, I was just listing stuff I had available to give people ideas of places to start

atm thinking to backlight shoot with 5d and crop v agressively

maybe flash behind a diffuser with a black mask shaped like the slides

I think he wants to show some Slide frames he's taken here on TP. He has a flatbed scanner which has not worked due to, well, it being a pile of carp :D

You could microdot style it... Back light the frames and take a photo of them with the 85 1.8 at F/1.8 and position the camera as close as possible. Crop in post. Maybe take a custom WB first, or set colour temp to that of your light source to get a more accurate representation of the slide.

We discussed earlier in IRC. :p

Short of getting a scanner capable of scanning them, this is what I might try at the very least :)

EDIT: Beaten to the reply :p

I see, have you got access to a lightbox? I know of a couple of people that use this method with pretty good results.

I do actually but its got a bit of a cast and is too small for a flat 6x7 slide

is ridged for 35mm

was there a reason for f1.8 other than amount of light woodsy?

EDIT: Beaten to the reply :p

That's true, but yours is a much more comprehensive reply. It's late and I thought I'd have a quick look on TP before bed.

also in the defence of my flatbed it is attatched to a printer and is wireless and was free from dell when I was begging for a spare battery

Will it not scan at all?

My idea behind the F/1.8 idea was because I had it in mind that the shallow DoF will act to diffuse the light behind the slide, if indeed you were using just a lamp / flash with no diffuser. This of course would be moot if you do use a diffuser.

I do however, have no idea when it comes to lighting, so I might be completely wrong in my logic. Give it a try I guess :)

possibility of hotspots with single diffuser if so will double diffuse with softbox and diffuser in front. f1.8 shouldn't change that but will be flareier

scanned 600dpi jpeg needs to be brightened 6-7 stops in photoshop, and as such looks horrible. It is a perfectly exposed slide (well ish)

Are you acquiring the scan via Photoshop?

Sounds like the lightbox maybe the way forward then. Or a new scanner :D

you can do it without a lightbox, the results wont be great, but good enough for web use. use a flash on an off camera ttl chord pointed at a white BG behind the slide (diffused as possible with a bit of +ve comp), then take a photo of the slide.

eg.

that is 135 film, so 6x7 should come out pretty decently.

flash behind diffuser, didn't bother with mask as had no black paper

couldn't lay on diffuser as material made a pattern on slide, had to hold.

only lens with short enough mfd to hold at same time is 28mm so they're a bit **** but meh

2frames.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

film dev thread here

Back